Cams for D14

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Re: Cams for D14

Post by Dodo Bizar »

I just arrived at max power till the rev limiter kicked in at 7800 rpm. So I disaggree with you on that topic. It is not all about having max power.

Since my original D16Z6 cam setup made power at such high rpms I could utilise higher rpms, with ok, less power... but getting rid of the power dip when shifting. right now when I shift down I go from approximatly 140 bhp to 100 bhp. An instant loss of 40 bhp... no matter which gearbox I use since there are no significant closer gearboxes I know off, only shorter final gears.

So lets say with my D16Z6 cam I still could have 120 bhp around 9000 rpm (probably overestimated guess okay), but shifting down a gear at 9000 rpm would mean getting back around 120 bhp again. So there is the benefit. Not in a direct measure, but my 0-400 m. time could improve on it still.

And okay, my current Skunk2 setup clearly shows 7500 rpm is max hp and then it tumbles down much faster compared to the D16Z6 cam... so for that setup getting my 9000 rpm might prove less usefull, but still I want the engine be able to do 9000 safely. So I can decide were my ideal shift point is instead of my rev limiter. Max hp is not everything I would say ;).

Law_

Post by Law_ »

Good points... not sure about the flow question about D16Y8...
Trading heads continues to be the option that makes more sense to me...
But good arguing ;)

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

You're right on setting the limit higher for shiften purpose ,but you'll only do that with 200 -300 rpm not a 1000rpm.I'm not saying you should not do it if it works ,but from what i read here people think they Need to make high rpm in order to make horsepower.All D16 engines don't make power past 8000rpm , you could check Bisimoto's website under the dyno charts the most extreme D16a6 build there made 233WHp and peak power was at 7800-8000rpm.A d14 would make power in higher rpm's because their powerband are higher and that's because of the high R/S ratio and the small stroke.

About the y8 head flow that is generally known on D-series.org or one cam only.I could show you pictures of the differences and bad port lay out of the y8 head vs. a z6 head.I even asked Larry from Endyn what the difference is between a D16y8 and a D16y7 is in power and he also said it's only because of the cam that the y8 makes more power.The heads flow similar .
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

Joris is you take an d14a8 gearbox and put the 2nd and 3rd gear of you a3 box, then here you are! You'll have the closest gearbox you can have without having to mess with ZC engine tranny or aftermarket ones.

I used to think that the z6 engines had smaller valves than y7/y8. Is this true?

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

saxophonias wrote:Joris is you take an d14a8 gearbox and put the 2nd and 3rd gear of you a3 box, then here you are! You'll have the closest gearbox you can have without having to mess with ZC engine tranny or aftermarket ones.

I used to think that the z6 engines had smaller valves than y7/y8. Is this true?
No they are all the same , only the a6 has smaller valves and some d15 engines.
You're forgetting the most important thing Saxophonias the 4.4 Final drive of that transmission :mrgreen: .
I'm going with a 4.9 Final drive with higher first gear and 3th and 4th from a crx .That transmission is shorter then a B16 tranny :P 3th and 4th from crx fit with little modification.Btw D14a8 tranny isn't commen to find ,i've never seen one around here.
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

D14A8 was one of the England produced 5dr Civics isn't it? I like to call them the Rover-Civis :mrgreen: .

And about rpms... being used to a 9500 rpm revving B16B makes my 8100 rpm D14 look low hehe. Some psychology involved there as well. But agreed, if even peepz as Bisi don't get max rpm higher than 8000 thats that. I lack experience and information on that topic.

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

Well Bisimoto himself will most likely make power till 9000 prob. till 10.000 .His D15 project back then had something like 240hp at the wheels and screamed 9000rpm .His current F22 runs over 10.000rpm ,they are afraid we won't believe it when he says the real rev limit .I'm guessing it's 11.000 or something :mrgreen: .
You can run your D14 till 9K and make power but it requires and extreme build with the wildest cam possible .I don't think anyone could effort to build something like that here and it would be a pure track machine.There's a D13 drag race civic on youtube running 9K from ED racing or something ,can't remember the name...

mynameisowen

Post by mynameisowen »

Plus shifting your powerband all the way to the top is gonna kill mid range let alone low down, it would have to be a pure track car, the idle speed would be stupidly high for daily driving.

The D16Y8 vs D16Z6 thing is debatable the Y8's valves are more parallel than the Z6 I believe but all in all I think they are pretty similar.
Last edited by mynameisowen on Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1996 EJ9 Civic
1998 BB8 Prelude Motegi VTi
1998, B16A2 EK4 Civic VTi

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.
BB8 - Rebuild after crash damage to front end.
EK4 - Daily driver. Strip and track prep once prelude project complete

Sebastix

Post by Sebastix »

Interesting information here!

I'm very curious what your Bisi cam's will do on you D14 Hondanick!

I can't wait to install my custom cam and rev the engine up to 8000rpm (but I think that setup won't be all motor anymore). I still need to ask Martin for more technical info about the cam (lift and duration changes).

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

I'm just as curious as you Sebas , i can roughly calculate what i might get out of the engine but i never can be sure of that .Things might not work toghether properly and i could lose Hp somewhere .It might be the other way around too and i could get way more then i expected.One thing that i always noticed is that a D14 engine gains a lot Hp with minor modifications.I still haven't seen a D14 with a fully ported head ,so i'm thinking this little engine will respond very good with the increased flow from the head.My level 2 cam will be around the same as Joris his Z6 Skunk 2 level 1 cam .A stock Z6 cam is a level 1 cam for a D14 engine Imo ,and a level 1 for z6 is around the same as a level 2 for a D14.The big difference is that the level 2 d14 cam is made for the D14 and my setup and will probaly make more hp .

Sebastix your cam is a N/a cam right ?You will most likely need other timing and lifts for a good turbo cam .But you might be able to use this one as well ,depends on the timing and lift of the cam.