Cams for D14

demolik

Re: Cams for D14

Post by demolik »

saxophonias wrote:impressive but are you sure this is a d14? i am saying that because it is very strange to have 160NM of torque and 153hp with 7300rpms rev limiter! Are you sure you are aware of all the engine mods? :roll:
first I didn't belive in this article also... but this guy become well known in Poland with his EJ9 close to EK4 showing this civic on national "spots"
I might miss something in translate but it 100% N/A project based on d14a3 engine and the bigest incrase gives:
- custom sharp cam + Skunk2 camwheel

here are some movie, but it's only proces running-in of custom sharp cam... so it's nothing proof ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDWcrBYwh18

BTW I have the same situation about year ago, when I told about Dodo's d14a3 vtec project on my local spot, they didn't belive... then I wrot some post with link to his webside... :D

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

Still Dodo's car revs way more (almost 8K), and has a bigger TB, better intake manifold, and more C/R and less torque. We know that in order to make power you need to increase the revs or the torque. But you can't increase torque so easily with out increasing the displacement. If this was an all motor N/A project with 3rd stage cam, bigger valves, itbs, big C/R, extremely good head job etc, then this could be done. I hope i am wrong man ;) Maybe invite him here to present his project.

Is this the same car?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yMjcHH4uBQ
I think yes. These numbers are very reasonable. If i get it right the only difference in comparison to the 153hp set up is the cam and cam gear? We are missing something here as it is impossible to get +30hp and 2kg of torque with only that.

demolik

Post by demolik »

yes, that's the guy H4WK and movie is from january '09 and it's before he got this higher compresion headgasket, custom cam, camwheel skunk2 and apexi, 153 he get after tune this setup

About his mods... I belive he don't tell about all :)

I will try to verb him to this forum ;)

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

I just saw the apexi thing :) Man with a vafc/safc you don't get too far. I know from experience! You only tune a/f ratio and nothing more.
I don't want to become bad or anything but it's too good to be true. The torque would be even too much for a d16. On the other hand a d16y7 block could explain these numbers. And they could be optimistic as well even for a d16 with these mods.

I am very curious to listen Joris' opinion.
As i said before, the 122hp and 137NM of torque are ok as i have seen exactly the same numbers with similar set up. Do we have the specs of the cam?

p.s. Are you sure it's not obd1? I am telling that because in the final dynoplot i can see that the rev limiter is at 7400rpms which can't be done with the apexi.

Law_

Post by Law_ »

very impressive. but for the setup is a very good number... maybe too good i guess. how many hp could be gained on a decent ECU remap?
Also, how much (€) would it be for a decent aftermarket Camshaft?
Did i understood well?The Cam in that project is altered?
Thank you

SquirtAndSpark

Post by SquirtAndSpark »

Law_ wrote:very impressive. but for the setup is a very good number... maybe too good i guess. how many hp could be gained on a decent ECU remap?
Also, how much (€) would it be for a decent aftermarket Camshaft?
Did i understood well?The Cam in that project is altered?
Thank you
certainly more than a complete y8/z6 head swap.

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

The car we have been talking about has a cam ;)
Guys we shouldn't rush things. I thing that a good cam with a good valvetrain can give decent power. Maybe we can organise group buys in the future and lower the price. I'll deliver a good write up for bisimoto cams these days.

Law_

Post by Law_ »

It is a great idea ! im in ! if they send it to Portugal i'm in ;)

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

Law_ wrote:It is a great idea ! im in ! if they send it to Portugal i'm in ;)
Let's let this forum grow and posting won't be a problem!! :P

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

I have to dig deeper in this project (low on time since I am in between races and other stuff, will tell results in a minute). But there is one way to increase torque dramatically, that is with CR. Just make sure it doesn't detonate or anything and your good.

For myself I believe getting high CR pistons that can rev up to 9k rpm give me 160Nm of torque and somewere 160 bhp depending on cam, not sure my current cam will be sufficient since it is bad at high revs. So getting 153 bhp doesn't seem undoable. I raised my CR by a minor bit, 9.2 to 9.5. But getting it right in the range around 11 really gets you further.

Also I think I have talked to several of those Polish persons and I know that these guys aren't dumb and are willing to experiment. So actually right now I belive these results, it is possible... and I should do the same as well :). But damn, it means I already lost my D14 NA record a while ago!

Wonder if I am ever able to get it back hehe.

Please invite this person over here if it is possible...