Valve Springs and Retainers

saxophonias

Valve Springs and Retainers

Post by saxophonias »

In contrast to the cam issue, the valvetrain, being ideintical to all 6gen d-series engines, benefits the d14 as you can swap aftermarket springs and retainers. Practically the options here are numerous.
We are going to show the available products.

marty40

Re: Valve Springs and Retainers

Post by marty40 »

does this mean that with the D14A4 head we can use d16 valves, springs and retainers?

Thinking of upgrading mine and going obd1 so can allow the engine to rev more instead of power still climbing until hits limiter.

cheers

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

In addition to this thread Bisimoto said to me he know's from experience the stock D14 /D16y7 valve springs can handle 7700rpm safely.They start to float around 8000rpm.
Also in most of the cases stock retainers are more then strong enough.Only if you're running a really agressive cam like a stage 3 or pushing the engine in high rpm's for long periods of time you'll need titanium retainers.

The D14 head with all internals (except the cam ?) is the same as the D16y7 head with all internals.So you can use D16 sohc non vtec valve springs ,retainers , and valves in a D14a4/A3/z yes.
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

indeed! Bisi has also told me not to worry about retainers even with a second stage cam of his. Still i am wondering whether stock retainers will perform well when we have a tuned d14 with 200K on its back.

marty40

Post by marty40 »

thanks for that. think im deffinatly gona go for springs anyway. prob will just get the titanium retainers too as they are only around £80 extra and im not completly sure what my cam specs are.

not sure wether to get valves tho? s2 ones arent that expensive.

need to get obd1 first and see where peak power is.

mr kawa

Post by mr kawa »

So what we can conclude is that; for a simple street setup its not nessesarie/recomanded for more hp's or acceleration to place preformance valve springs and retrainers and all of that, sins your not constantly pushing the engine.
Eventhough i want max hp's out o my d14 engine.

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

Did you know that k20 cammed engines wear stock retainers too much? I was surprised to hear that every 20-30.000km top, a cammed k20 has to change the stock retainers due to excessive wear which can lead to engine failure. Aftermarket ones (titanium for instance) tend to break easier too. If i swap a cam i am going to replace them with oem again just to be sure.