Setting cam gear and ignition timing

mynameisowen

Re: best camgear timing?

Post by mynameisowen »

lakaiD14 wrote:great news!
when my car reached 5000 revs it almost seems if a "big-ass-tubro" kicks in
Haha!! :D

good luck with the swap, the p06 uses 240cc injectors i beleive so as long as you have all the correct sensors, IACV, distributor etc then you should be good....
1996 EJ9 Civic
1998 BB8 Prelude Motegi VTi
1998, B16A2 EK4 Civic VTi

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.
BB8 - Rebuild after crash damage to front end.
EK4 - Daily driver. Strip and track prep once prelude project complete

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Stock P06 should be fine... 2 weeks to the dyno! :idea:

Good luck man ;)

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

I ran for 2weeks on a stock P06 without tuning .When i finally got it tuned the tuner said the air/fuel was allready pretty good with the stock P06 ecu.
I wouldn't rev it too much above 3000 rpm cause you got a higher compression.Under 3000rpm lambda regulates the air/fuel above that ecu takes control.
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

lakaiD14

Post by lakaiD14 »

now i have adjusted my distributor, but the weird thing is, that i have set the distributor as early as possible but the timing is stil some degrees of.
is it possible that my d-belt is 1 tooth off? or has it to do with my compression. my camgear (btw) is not made by crower, because the bastards didn't tell me they don't make camgears anymore for D-serie's engine's :x ! so i ordered the skunk2 pro camgear (as long as it is made off 7075 alluminium it is fine by me :P
"some have dreams, mine is reality :P"

lakaiD14

Post by lakaiD14 »

next problem, now my head is mounted back, my ignition is "adjusted" reasonably, so the car is driveble. but now my engine uses some oil.

could it be that my pistonrings are fried/toasted/ whoessed :P?
when we were mounting my head back in place the cool dude daid that some burned oil was left on top of my pistons, don't know iff this is normal?

Law_

Post by Law_ »

No normal behaviour. It should not have burned oil on piston top. did you verifyed your valve seals? Cheers

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

I lost track a little bit of your project: ignition should be ok I think. If there is a difference it is due to the physical aligning of the D15B7 camshaft is different from D14. The 'slit' on the dizzy side is probably off a few degrees.

Btw: is your current ignition retarded or advanced? The crankshaft pulleys indicates 12 +/-2 since it is an D14 pulley but it actually has to be 16 +/-2 for the P06 to get it right. So you have to guess a little.

Or are you currently around 8 degrees and cannot go any further? That would make sens that the car isn't running smooth.

To make sure: you still have a non-VTEC head and cam, only reworkdes head? Otherwise my post doesn't apply...

lakaiD14

Post by lakaiD14 »

now i have installed my megan racing header, and yes the complete setup at the moment make sence :P!

the car is running quite good, feels like there is power unused when u are shifting up. the torque curve (i think) is pretty flat, with this i mean that u can feel real good the car is pulling the whole time but i can stil feel the power/torue dip between 4000-5000 revs.

i dont know if it helps to change camtiming, now i have installed my racing header?

will let u know when the next upgrade is :P

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Its a typical Honda dip, we see it in both D-series and B-series very often.

In my D14 setup it was gone when driving without catalyc converter :shock: . So exhaust related?

lakaiD14

Post by lakaiD14 »

hmm weird, on the moment i drive with an empty cat (bashed out all the cadmium :P) en soon wil have a cat converter (test pipe).

will let u know when i can notice a difference.
because the empty cat is a widening in the exhaustsystem, while a cat converter is the same diameter.

i think with the widening the gasflow builds up some sort of pressure. because the gasflow is: narrow (header) --> wide (empty cat) --> narrow (midpipe/muffler)