Cheap Stronger OEM connecting rod D14

hondaNickx

Cheap Stronger OEM connecting rod D14

Post by hondaNickx »

I have found cheap connecting rods that fit our D14a4/A3/Z2 engines and they are much stronger then the stock ones.
They are exactly the same connecting rods as our stock ones in dimensions but much stronger.These are the ones that crower lists on their website as 1986-1987 Civic /CRX 1.3L 1342cc.
In the USA they were only used in 1986-1987.

The only downside is you don't find them a lot.These connecting rods come out of the EV1 /EV2 (als known as D13a2 ,Not D-series ) engine from a 3th gen civic DX 1.3L 1985-1987 .Rover also used the same engine in a Rover 213 .I've been searching a lot to find these engines but haven't found any yet.
From the honda parts cataloge i found these pictures which shows they are much stronger.

Are these engines more found in other countries in Europe ?In Belgium and the USA they are rare.
Last edited by hondaNickx on Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:02 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

saxophonias

Re: Cheap Stronger OEM connecting rod D14

Post by saxophonias »

Are you referring to this chassis?
If yes they came with 1,2lt and 1.5lt engines and they weren't d-series as far as I know.
If it is the next model the ee civic then they were still very frequent engines
Have a look
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_D_en ... 2_liter.29

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

saxophonias wrote:Are you referring to this chassis?
If yes they came with 1,2lt and 1.5lt engines and they weren't d-series as far as I know.
If it is the next model the ee civic then they were still very frequent engines
Have a look
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_D_en ... 2_liter.29
Yes that's the chassis .
These aren't D-series engines they are the EV series much earlier 1985-1987 .But i also found a engine code and that says D13A2. (NOT D13B2)
In Europe and the USA these came with the 1.5L and 1.3L engines. The civic DX (NOT the GL or GT ) came with the EV1 engine .The Civic GL/GT came with the 1.5L EW engine.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Civi ... eration%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_E_engine#EV

PS: i also just now noticed these connecting rods are the same ones as crower lists as " 1342cc" connecting rods.
So i'm 100% sure to say these ARE the same as D14a4/A3/Z2/A8 connecting rods but they are made stronger. :D
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

In the meanwhile i could possibly buy 2 sets of connecting rods out of 2 EV2 engines.So i'll update this thread soon with detailed pictures and measurements of the connecting rods :D

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

how are we sure they are stronger? By the looks?

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

saxophonias wrote:how are we sure they are stronger? By the looks?
Yes first of all i went by the looks ,they look much thicker forged pieces then the stock d14a4 pieces.
If no one ever tries something or looks for something new we still be driving our stock D14 engines without intake manifold swap and obd tuning.
We gotta move forward and try searching for more upgrades .We also recently found engine bearings for the d14 engine which no one knew before.

We can't be 100% sure that the material used in those EV connecting rods is of the same quality as the D14a4 rods used.I know that is possible but we will have to try it out or do some material research on the rods and compare quality.Rods can also be cyro treated and D16 ARP Rod bolts also fit in these rods so we can upgrade the rods to the best possible rod we can have.
Last edited by hondaNickx on Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

I asked that in a good spirit ;)
Maybe check and compare their weight?

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

I'll keep you guys posted with detailed pictures and measurements of the rods.I also weigh them on a scale ;) .
Going from the pictures i've seen of the EV2 rods they look to be not as big as i initially thought.
But they do look bigger then our stock rods for sure.If i would compare them true pictures i would say they are as thick as D16a1 rods which are thicker then stock D16y8/D16z6 rods.But i will know for sure soon when the rods arrive i can measure them.
I allready found measurements of stock D16y8 / D16A1 and B18B connecting rods online.So i can compare the thickness with those.

Here are some pictures i've found and some pictures of the EV2 rods i bought.

These are the EV2 rods

Note :According to several honda forums around the world these rods can handle :

B18B/B20 250whp
D16z6/Y8/Y7... 200whp
D16A1 ~ 220whp

D16a1 rods come out the 1986-1989 acura integra with D16 engine .
The highest hp i've seen on a D14 is that from Sebastix with 218hp on the crank on stock rods which translates into 185whp. So it would be great if this EV2 rod could handle the same amount as the D16a1 rods 220whp

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

I finally have the rods in ! These rods came out of a Honda EV2 engine and are the ones i was talking about the PEO rods.They are not as thick as i initially thought but they are much thicker then the stock D14a4/A3 rods and much heavier.I do however do not know if the material has the same strength as the D14a4/A3 rods have.The EV1/EV2 are from the same time period as the D16a1 rods and they also look similar in design.So i asume the quality is the same as D16a1 rods.In terms of thickness and width they are bigger then stock D16y8/Z6 rods but smaller then D16a1 rods so in between.

Last edited by hondaNickx on Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

Unique information! Thanks for sharing!
At which point a rod is the most likely to collapse? In the upper point the d14 looks thicker or is it my impression?