Timing offset in Skunk2 cam gear

AngelDesign

Timing offset in Skunk2 cam gear

Post by AngelDesign »

Hi mates, I have a skunk2 pro camgear in my D16Y8 civic, but I find some issues that are getting me crazy.

The first one: why my cam gear shows that advance is turning the gear counter-clockwise and retard turning it in clockwise, but other cam gears show the opposite:

mine:
others:
http://bisimoto.net/store/images/bisi_cams.jpg
http://d5otzd52uv6zz.cloudfront.net/...f5a717-350.jpg
http://www.mindspring.com/~tlj/civic...gear_small.jpg

What is the right direction to advance?

Another question: as you can see in my Sk2 installation, the difference between the Z6 setting and the Y8 one (down in the cam gear) is about 2 degrees, and its all know, that the real difference between the Z6 and Y8 is about 4.75 degrees, so: should I set the cam gear to the Y8 mark, or retard it by myself the 4.75 degrees needed?

Thanks.

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Re: Timing offset in Skunk2 cam gear

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Yours is wrong, the plus sign clearly retards the cams while the minus make them advanced.

Reason it like this: your block is rotating counter clockwise as seen from the belt side.
Putting the cams further counterclockwise compared to the belt makes it advanced cams since they pass the 'same point' earlier.
Vice versa putting the cams clockwise makes them retard.

Since you have a complete D16Y8 the OEM starting point is putting the system to 4.75 advanced.
Think like copy the original D16Y8 OEM camgear for a start.

Though I think you will find some power when you close in to 0 degreees point... most OEM cams get a bit more power when retarded.

AngelDesign

Post by AngelDesign »

Yesterday I put my cam gear in the seme position as the OEM and now my power is back! The previous sucking config was 2,5º retarded (counterclockwise)

When you say "most OEM cams get a bit more power when retarded." you mean turning it clockwise or counterclock wise? and how many degrees?

Another thing. Do you have any D16Y8 stock or modified .bin to start with? because there is too much confusion about using a P28 or P30 maps, starting at 12º or 21º... , others says to get the stock P28 maps (starting at 16º), and set the cam gear like the Z6...

Any clear idea????

Thanks.

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Retarding would mean putting the cam slightly clockwise. So yes I fully understand you lost power previously.

As for the bins, just take P28 as a base, I did as well. What I do is the following procedure: with a stroboscope I time the ignition according to the OEM settings which match my bin. So in the case of P28 bin it needs 16 +/-2 deg (when the engine is hot and it idles nicely around 750 rpm).

Unfortunatly the marks on the D16Y8 (just like my D14) are around 12 +/-2. So you have to extrapolate the markings a bit, takes a keen eye. This might give a little different performance during idling etc, but in practise this is the way to get the high rev performance optimum.

Rember when putting the cam advanced you should retard the ignition by the same angle and vice versa to keep the ignition timing the same.

Law_

Post by Law_ »

This is serious enginnering
I'm writing not to forget !
Thanks !