Piston and rod size of the D14A3/A4/Z1/Z2

mynameisowen

Re: Piston and rod size of the D14A3/A4/Z1/Z2

Post by mynameisowen »

Great research Nick!! That is very interesting actually. Anyone on here done some actual tunning on their D14Z2? Most people seem to have A4's or A3's, it would be an interesting comparison. I'm really tempted to get some of these pictons and put them in my A4, CR is vital for torque, and therefore power, and with a Y8 head (which I plan on doing) would be great :)

Good work!
1996 EJ9 Civic
1998 BB8 Prelude Motegi VTi
1998, B16A2 EK4 Civic VTi

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.
BB8 - Rebuild after crash damage to front end.
EK4 - Daily driver. Strip and track prep once prelude project complete

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

I've seen pictures of a D14z2 head and the head code is the same and it also looks the same.
I double checked it comparing the OEM Honda part numbers for the D14z2 head and the D14a4 head and they are the same .The head gasket was also the same and the rods too.So the claimed 9.8 :1 Cr could be right afterall.

If anyone can check the price for the oem 99-00 ej9 pistons?I looked it up online true honda lings and they charge €100/each piston without rings :shock: .For that kind of money i can buy aftermarket pistons :D
Maybe they are cheaper somewhere else in Europe?
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

SquirtAndSpark

Post by SquirtAndSpark »

nice find! maybe d14z pistons and y8 head do a nice job, I have to research the CR of this combo :mrgreen:

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Wow... great work Nick! Damn I should have had the D14Z...

One more question, can you estimate the weight diff between the pistons? I see some piece of rod is left which might mess up the accuracy, but it would be interesting with repsect to revability of the D14A's...

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

Dodo Bizar wrote:Wow... great work Nick! Damn I should have had the D14Z...

One more question, can you estimate the weight diff between the pistons? I see some piece of rod is left which might mess up the accuracy, but it would be interesting with repsect to revability of the D14A's...

You're reading my mind :lol: I was thinking about weighing both pistons too.Since i don't have the proper press and tools to press out the piston pin ,i cut off the connecting rod.But i'll try to press out the pin at work.
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

BETEK

Post by BETEK »

I have an idea :idea: :mrgreen:
Heating the pistons with fire torch and hammer them can work to take out the rod pins.
I am not sure but try, who knows maybe can work

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

BETEK wrote:I have an idea :idea: :mrgreen:
Heating the pistons with fire torch and hammer them can work to take out the rod pins.
I am not sure but try, who knows maybe can work

Yes i thought about that ,but i don't like to break or damage the pistons ;) It's even dangerous when using the right tools ,so caution is needed.

baz

Post by baz »

Anyone knows the price of the D14Z2 pistons already?
D14A3-OBD1-I/H/E
126 hp /145 Nm

mark

Post by mark »

Well, i ll try to write english, most of the time i read here, because my english is not so well.
I`m also from holland, my nickname on cch is also mark.
I`ll drive a d14z2, that piston was mine 8-)
For now, i have a d14z2 mini me, with a d16y8 head.
The compression is now 16 bar. That`s high.

And in a few weeks, i had planned, kms valve springs and retainers, and level 2 blox camshaft, for a little more gain.

BETEK

Post by BETEK »

Welcome Mark!
What is the power of your engine after mini-me?
Did you tested at dyno?