y8 / z6 head

ditto

y8 / z6 head

Post by ditto »

guys, need answer pretty urgent as im going to do head swap so i was wondering which one is better, y8 or z6 head ? can you see the difference on standard build ?

thanks.

Law_

Re: y8 / z6 head

Post by Law_ »

IMHO there is not a better one. Its thought Y8 to provide a better flow and it is proved that it gives some compression as Z6 does not. But if that is enough to make Y8 a better head... I myself will do the swap with one Y8. You should decide for yourself but search the forum... There is some posts about that. Regrats

ditto

Post by ditto »

Law_ wrote:IMHO there is not a better one. Its thought Y8 to provide a better flow and it is proved that it gives some compression as Z6 does not. But if that is enough to make Y8 a better head... I myself will do the swap with one Y8. You should decide for yourself but search the forum... There is some posts about that. Regrats
PM'ed you mate

mynameisowen

Post by mynameisowen »

I think use whichever you can find easier :D
Im using Y8 becuse i like the increased compression. But they are both good.
1996 EJ9 Civic
1998 BB8 Prelude Motegi VTi
1998, B16A2 EK4 Civic VTi

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.
BB8 - Rebuild after crash damage to front end.
EK4 - Daily driver. Strip and track prep once prelude project complete

ditto

Post by ditto »

mynameisowen wrote:I think use whichever you can find easier :D
Im using Y8 becuse i like the increased compression. But they are both good.
well both are easy to find for me, there is d16z6 engine lying around in me near scrapy and there is a bloke selling y8 head and has been port and polished too.

mynameisowen

Post by mynameisowen »

I'd say go for the head then if its not to expensive. Although the D16Z6 engine will have all the bits you need to do the conversion on it so maybe its more usefull if its complete.
1996 EJ9 Civic
1998 BB8 Prelude Motegi VTi
1998, B16A2 EK4 Civic VTi

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.
BB8 - Rebuild after crash damage to front end.
EK4 - Daily driver. Strip and track prep once prelude project complete

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

The Y8 port lay out is made with economics in mind.The ports have more turns in them.The D16z6 ports are more straightend and they will work better on a highly build D- engine.The Y8 ports will work better on a D14 imo.
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

Raimundo

Post by Raimundo »

Y8 head gives a bit more compression, so depending on which pistons to use, it will be either a great or bad choice. Finally, I've just found which dome my pistons have, and with Z6 head and headgasket, it gave me 11.55:1 without any milling :mrgreen:
95' Honda Civic
EDM D14A2