Aftermarket Rod and Pistons.

Raimundo

Re: Aftermarket Rod and Pistons.

Post by Raimundo »

SP, yes, but I don't think they are forged, and here in PT pistons are "cheap", so spending I little bit more money can give higher engine quality!

:)
95' Honda Civic
EDM D14A2

mynameisowen

Post by mynameisowen »

So the vitara pistons fit perfectly? cool no problems with gudgeon pin diameter or anything?
1996 EJ9 Civic
1998 BB8 Prelude Motegi VTi
1998, B16A2 EK4 Civic VTi

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.
BB8 - Rebuild after crash damage to front end.
EK4 - Daily driver. Strip and track prep once prelude project complete

Sebastix

Post by Sebastix »

P29 pistons fits perfect in a D14 block!

Done this week :)

mynameisowen

Post by mynameisowen »

coolio how much compression you running?
1996 EJ9 Civic
1998 BB8 Prelude Motegi VTi
1998, B16A2 EK4 Civic VTi

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.
BB8 - Rebuild after crash damage to front end.
EK4 - Daily driver. Strip and track prep once prelude project complete

SquirtAndSpark

Post by SquirtAndSpark »

probably 12:1 cr or more depending on material used :o

Sebastix

Post by Sebastix »

Don't know how much the compression is, the build block is not mine. It's from a friend and is building a D14 N/A :) Block is ready, head almost.

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

Just wanna add some options here.

Stock D14a4/A3 piston specs are

- 29,5mm compression height
- -5,4cc dish
- 49,55mm total height

Arias spec pistons for A D16y8
- 29,3mm compression height
- - 0,4cc dish
- I asume total height is the same as stock Y8 = 49,25mm

Arias spec pistons for a D16a6
- 29,6mm compression height
- - 0.5cc Dish
- Total height is unknown to me

If you would use the Y8 spec arias pistons in a D14 you get 10,15 :1 Cr.
That isn't much but it's because a D14 has 200cc less then a D16.So you still need to mill the head or use a Y8 head and mill that to go around 11:1 compression.If you would use a Y8 head and mill 0.020" of the head with these pistons you'll get 11.24 :1 cr.
The y8 spec pistons also sit 0.2mm below deck ,so you could mill the deck 0.2mm .
D16a6 pistons will stick above the deck 0.1mm,which is dangerous if a lot heat (turbo) is being used.Even when u use pm7 pistons people don't even looked at the total heigh which is 58.8mm.That means those skirts are 9.25mm longer then stock D14 pistons,which may give better stability but is dangerous cause they stick out when pistons are at BDC.

Arias gives a rating of 11.5 :1 compression for these pistons when they are used in a D16 engine.That's the highest compression rating any aftermarket piston manufacturer gives for D16 engines.All the other ones only give a rating of 10.5 :1.If you would use one of those your compression would be lower offcourse.So if anyone wants to build a D14a4/A3 either custom made pistons or these D16y8 pistons from Arias are the best you can get.
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

CarteluL

Post by CarteluL »

I finished the block (again) and used this time pm7 piston's on stock rod's and stock crank..they fit perfectly and i think compresion will be 12:x:x because i use a fully rebuild z6 head..but i am afraid that the valves might hit the piston's when v-tec kick's..but i made some resourch and i saw d16z6 engines with pm7 piston's and they had no problem's..can't wait to finish it..

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

It mostly depends on the cam type.If you're using a extreem cam like level 3 or something you could be in trouble.You should always "clay it" to see how much clearance you got between piston and valve.Pm7 pistons have a history that you need a looot of ignition advance to make more power .They aren't the best pistons to use on any D series engine besides the dohc D16.
Most people 'think' that they are good cause everybodies using them.
The more tech related people around D-series engines will tell you the same story.But for a cheap setup it will mostly work fine enough.I would never use them on a fully big build engine.
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

Law_

Post by Law_ »

I guess the worst problem of all is being the rods due to the excessive price of crower ones... I want to make a Turbo setup for 300hp but dont have matchable and at the same time affordable rods. Do you guys have any solution? or should i use B18c modded rods for being the same height?
Cheers