Engine Build on the way

lumpenst

Engine Build on the way

Post by lumpenst »

Hi guys,

It's been sometime I haven't been posting but it's because I've been busy with work etc. After this hard working time for me I think I deserved a present for my self! I'm going to be building my d14 engine with a d15b crankshaft, eagle rods, and ycp vitaras and am at the moment in the process of ordering parts. I'm going to be listing what stuff I'm planning to get for the engine turbo build and want your suggestion or remarks about anything.

For members who dont remember my setup, I have a d14z4 ej9 with d16z6 head and manifold, obd1 conversion done, 6-puck sprung stage 2-3 clutch. Before vtec conversion had turbo setup t3 .42 .48 at 0.6-0.7 bar. The new plan is to shoot for 300 crank hp with new turbo, built engine and stuff.

Parts List:
-jdm d15b crank
-Eagle d16 rods with arp 2000 bolts
-YCP vitara 75.5 pistons
-Moded stock oil pump
-ARP Head studs for d16y with z6 head
-d16 rod bearings (probably ACL)
-D15 main bearings and turst washers (ACL or King)
-Adjustable Cam Gear

Parts I'm not sure about:
-Some brand block guard (is this really necessary?)
-Head gasket (Do i need aftermarket cause i'm going overbore or OEM is fine?)
-Valve springs + some stage 2 cam (I'm not sure if I should spend on this)
-Some GT series turbo with t3 flange (2860,2871,3071) or t3/t4 hybrid (money is a factor here too)
-anything else?

BETEK

Re: Engine Build on the way

Post by BETEK »

Turbo sounds good and fast for little ej9 civic :mrgreen: ;)
Good set-up but prefer OEM bearings because you can choose exactly the sizes that you need.
Aslo it will be better to put OEM head gasket, you don't need to go aftermarket with 75.5 pistons.
As for the block guard it isn't necessary.
How many hosrepower do you expect-want to make?
Good luck :)

lumpenst

Post by lumpenst »

I know OEM bearing are the best but spare parts in my country have unacceptably high prices. OEM bearing and trust washer set could cost me 500 dollars :) so that's why i'm considering acl or king.

I'm planing to shoot for around 300 chp but who knows what i'll get actually. Plan is to run 1 bar daily and ~1.3 sometimes.

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

Oem doesn't even have overbore headgaskets.Only one i know is Bisimoto that sells overbore oem headgaskets.Oem gaskets are good but only up to a certain amount of boost.With a lot of boost you're better of with a Cometic headgasket.

I would also put in a Block guard from a known brand like Golden eagle.
1 bar or 1.3 bar is a lot of pressure on stock sleeves.
This isn't A D14 anymore but a build D15 :P
A friend of mine runs 1 bar of boost on a build d16 with Wiseco pistons (9 :1 Cr) and they run around 300chp.So my guess is your D15 wil have less then 300chp on 1bar with vitara's.
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

BETEK

Post by BETEK »

Oem head gasket can fit perfectly up to 75.5 pistons.
Because Honda itself sell bigger pistons except of standard size for rebuilding the engines, so the piston that offer Honda usually is standard size, 0.25 and 0.50 bigger.
And the head gasket that offer Honda is only one for all that pistons.
The OEM head gasket it is much better from Cometic.
I have heard many problems with Cometic's gaskets.

Here is example of codes for OEM pistons
75mm 13010-P3Y-000
75.25mm 13020-P3Y-000
75.5mm 13030-P3Y-000

and the code for OEM head gasket is
12251-P2J-004

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

You're right i didn't knew that .
Cometic isn't that bad ,allthough i would recommend a oem headgasket .
They are stronger then oem headgaskets but they don't have the precision like oem honda does.Choice is up to you.

Ow yeah what oil pump are you going to use with a D15 crank on a D14 engine ???

D15 uses a different pump then D14 which uses a Y8 style pump.
I don't know if they fit on a d15 crank...
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

jangz

Post by jangz »

Man I am really excited about this project as I really hope to see the results. LOL as soon as I thought "Vtec n turbo just kicked in yo" somebody else comes along and does something even more impressive.

I really cant wait to see the results and really eager to follow the whole process/project and learn something along the way.

Really wishing you the best of luck and great power... Keep it up and its also nice to see you back on the form man.
Liberate our minds by any means necessary - Malcom X

lumpenst

Post by lumpenst »

hondaNickx wrote:
Ow yeah what oil pump are you going to use with a D15 crank on a D14 engine ???

D15 uses a different pump then D14 which uses a Y8 style pump.
I don't know if they fit on a d15 crank...
I believe all oil pumps on d series are interchangeable. I remember people using z6 pumps in y8 blocks but they wouldn't have a dipstick after that. I'm planning to use the original pump on my engine but it will be modded.

lumpenst

Post by lumpenst »

hondaNickx wrote: I would also put in a Block guard from a known brand like Golden eagle.
I'm not sure about this block guard thing. Many people don't use it and they are quite fine without it, Also it's a factor that limits head coolant flow and also i'm not sure about the expansion of the material applying force on the outside of the cylinders walls on just half a centimeter thick area. It could cause deflection on the inner surface of wall..

I don't want to add too much complexity to the build that we could screw up labor wise. So I think I'm gonna pass on the block guard

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

I can really follow your point of view. Coolant, unknown stresses... good point.