Advantage VTEC D14

DaWaN

Advantage VTEC D14

Post by DaWaN »

I'm currently in the process of building a cheap and powerfull D-series engine.

Parts I have so far:
D16Y8 head with cam and ignition
D15Z6 engine loom
P06 ECU (with the parts to convert it to VTEC)
D16Z6 intake manifold with injectors, tb etc.
D13B2 gearbox

As you can see I have pretty much all the important parts...apart from the engine block.
I really doubt if the VTEC cam works well on a D14 engine, does somebody know the difference in cam profile between non-vtec and vtec ? (especially in VTEC area)
Also i'm wondering if the D14 has a aluminium oil pan, the D15Z6 has it but does the D14 have it aswell ?

Currently i'm trying to find a cheap D15Z6 or D15Z8 or D16Y7 or D15Z1 or D15Z3 but they are really hard to find cheap. On the other hand the D14's are very common and very cheap (I can even pick one up for free)
So my thoughts are that the VTEC head gives more power on a D15 or D16 block but I really want your thoughts about it. If it turns out it doesn't really matter I can pick my D14 up next week and start building :)

BETEK

Re: Advantage VTEC D14

Post by BETEK »

d14 doesn't have aluminum oil pan.
But never mind because either the B series have it.
Better to go D14 block or d15. The d16 blocks have problem with piston rods.

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Is the alu D15Z6 pan exchangeable and would it save any weight? If so why do most Honda engines have steel? Hmmm... maybe for reliability, I actually know an ex-EK3 driver who killed his pan on the snow, could not see a bump. But it hit the pan and cracked it.

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

Never heard of any connecting rod problems on D series engines .People make up a lot of those stories .Like a D16z6 that is known for trowing bearings and having oil problems :roll: BS!Only one that is known for having problems are the Y-series (Y8/y7/Y5).
D14 has a steel oil pan and you can't swap them over .Different crank girdle and oil pick up .I never knew why they used aluminium oil pans on the Y8 and D15z6 engines.Maybe for some economy reason or something ?

The y8 head is the best vtec head you can use on a D14 because of the intake ports.D16z6 intake ports are in my opinion a little too large for a D14.Which means loss in air velocity.The vtec cam isn't optimal for a D14 engine ,but you can make some good power with it like Dodo did with his.
You can also let a Y8 cam regrind for a D14 engine.
I would also use the Y8 intake manifold since your already using a Y8 head.They are made for each other so i rather combine those than with a d16z6 intake manifold. Afaik a vtec cam is the same like a non vtec stage 1 cam in power difference.So a vtec stage 1 cam would be the same in power output as a Non vtec stage 2cam.Except a vtec cam has a broader powerband. I also asked Larry from Endyn once what the reall difference in power was between a D16y8 engine and a D16y7 engine.He said the only difference why a D16y8 engine makes more power is because of the vtec cam .The heads flow very similar .

And as you know a Y7 head is the same head as a D14 .
A ported y8 head would be ideal for a modded d14 vtec .
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

novaksaotome

Post by novaksaotome »

talking about the rods, pretty much anyone that has a bit of experience with d16Z6 engines know that it's rods are good for under 200 hp aplications (high comp n/a or mild turbo) , which for almost all of us using a daily drive car is way more than enough. for D series engines from around 88 till 96 the rod strenght is pretty much the same, D16A1 rods found it the Integra pre 88 models have the reputation of being stronger (good for 250 hp) than the rest of the other d series rods ;)
as for the oil pan, for security reasons it's better to have a steel one, in case of an impact, the steel one doesn't crack as easy as the aluminum one, and i think the steel ones are cheaper.

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

And I actually know an aluminium one that did crack once... so its a real threat.

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

d16 face problems only when rev much higher and being stock, due to r/s ratio . ;)

mr kawa

Post by mr kawa »

but what would happin if you would place a D16z6 head on a d14 engine but change the camshaft to a stage 1. i have seen comp cam stage 1 go for around 350,- i think this would most likely add HP with the correct ecu tuning. am i right?