high compression pistons

SquirtAndSpark

high compression pistons

Post by SquirtAndSpark »

hi!

I'm thinking in the future rebuild my d14, so I'm searching for "cheap power". turbo setup are quiet expensive, and not street legal, so for now I prefer make plans for a NA setup, to get a CR between 11:1 to 12:1 and pray to get a reasonable power :mrgreen:

in my research I found the PM7/P29 that have a compression height of 29mm(stock pistons has 29,5) and makes a CR of 11.77 with 2 layer y8 Headgasket and d16z9 head. the numbers are tempting but I'm afraid to have a small valve to piston clearance, the pistons are to heavy and because the shape of the dome affect the combustion :roll:

by another hand, the PG6 pistons with same setup makes a CR of 11.36 but the compression height is 30mm, that means they go out of the block 0,5mm?

pg6

YCP p29

I found the PDN pistons, CH of 29.5mm that makes a CR of 11.65

at fist view they seems to be the best choice, but I'm afraid that YCP don't make this replicas, OEM should be quite expensive :|

any alternatives/suggestions?

cheers

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Re: high compression pistons

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Make sure the piston height including full skirt does fit. I remember our D14 (well all D-series after '96) is about 50 mm were some older pistons are in the range of 60 mm if I remember correctly. Would be a shame if the piston would hit the crank casing in the bottom or something. No idea how much play there is exactly actually.

SquirtAndSpark

Post by SquirtAndSpark »

many tanks for the advice! I will consider it!

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

Oem honda (D-series) pistons in America are much cheaper then in Europe.
You should also check out D-series.org in the 'for sale' section i see lot's of times people selling Aftermarket pistons like Arias or CP for a D16 engine that also fit's the D14 .You could also look around on ebay. ;)

P29/Pm7 pistons will work in a D14 but aren't the best pistons .

PDN pistons have a bigger piston pin (i believe 21mm) and stock D16/D15/D14 has 19mm.

Like i said 1000 times before your best choice is aftermarket pistons for a D16y8 engine.
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

SquirtAndSpark

Post by SquirtAndSpark »

and I read it hondaNickx ;) but how I said I'm trying to find the best €/performance that could get.

I'm trying to not spend much money in the pistons, otherwise I will consider a turbo option...

more research needed :)

SquirtAndSpark

Post by SquirtAndSpark »

b18c rods - 137.9 mm

21mm piston bore if i'm correct, so looks like it is a match for pdn pistons :mrgreen:

but I wanna a lightest combo that i can get...

BETEK

Post by BETEK »

SquirtAndSpark wrote:b18c rods - 137.9 mm

21mm piston bore if i'm correct, so looks like it is a match for pdn pistons :mrgreen:

but I wanna a lightest combo that i can get...
The piston pin of PDN are the same with B-series one, they have the same part number 13112-P3F-000
and the pistons part number (including the pins) is 13010-PDN-A00
https://www.oemacuraparts.com/index.php ... -%20PISTON
As I can see the PDN pistons are not expensive, each cost 51 US dollars

So the PDN pistons + B18C rods are the best combo for Naturally Aspirated D14 projects and high revving like B18C :D
I will call from now this combo D14C (like B18C) :mrgreen:
because the D14 will have the skills (compression, rods) to rev as B18C

SquirtAndSpark

Post by SquirtAndSpark »

d14c :lol: :lol: :lol:

I like it 8-)

I have to calculate again the CR because the 0.1mm difference of the rods, but the change should be minimal.

SquirtAndSpark

Post by SquirtAndSpark »

F***

on-line calculator is wrong, the PDN CH is 30,5mm on http://www.zealautowerks.com/dseries.html appears 29,5mm :roll:

http://www.d-series.org/forums/engine-b ... on-a6.html

back to zero lol

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

It's B18B rods from a Integra GSR and they are 137mm length like d16 rods and have a 21mm piston pin .The big end needs some shaving to reduce the thickness other then that they fit in a d16 engine.
B18c rods are type-r rods they are way different...

ow yeah Big end diameter is also d16 dimensions , so they won't fit d14's or d15's ;-)

There aren't any oem rods out there that fit a D14 , trust me i've checked them all before.Even pistons from other brands like toyota and others i've checked those too nothing ,there's only a Honda CBR 1000RR piston that is 75mm and might fit.D14 Rods you're stuck to stock or Crower.
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"