Doing a d14 engine rebuild

bluecivic

Doing a d14 engine rebuild

Post by bluecivic »

Hi guys im doing a rebuild on a spare d14 engine i have !

Any advice on what i could do to increase performance on it ?

Cheap or free mods i would like to do lol.

Thanks.

BETEK

Re: Doing a d14 engine rebuild

Post by BETEK »

You can increase the compression with grinding a little bit the block and/or with pistons from some other Honda SOHC engines.
Also you can increase the air flow of the cylinder head (might expensive job).
Of course swap IM, convert it to OBD1 and aftermarket header (exhaust manifold).
A wilder aftermarket camshaft will help too for adding some more ponies ;)

bluecivic

Post by bluecivic »

Hi thanks i already have a y8 intake and a blox 4 branch manifold 4-2-1

mynameisowen

Post by mynameisowen »

I think a cheap job would be to buy a dremel and do some minor porting of the intake runners and head. Dont take of too much or go overboard without knowing what you are doing but taking off ~ 0.5mm cant do any harm and might net you a few horses at high rpm's....

Like betek said getting the head grinded to increase compression could be good, as could changing the pistons. I think you can also use the D16Y8 headgasket which is thinner than the D14 one. I'd double check that first though.

Other stuff like valvetrain etc arent really necessary unless you are increasing the rpm.
1996 EJ9 Civic
1998 BB8 Prelude Motegi VTi
1998, B16A2 EK4 Civic VTi

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.
BB8 - Rebuild after crash damage to front end.
EK4 - Daily driver. Strip and track prep once prelude project complete

BETEK

Post by BETEK »

mynameisowen wrote:I think a cheap job would be to buy a dremel and do some minor porting of the intake runners and head. Dont take of too much or go overboard without knowing what you are doing but taking off ~ 0.5mm cant do any harm and might net you a few horses at high rpm's....
I agree 100% ;)
mynameisowen wrote:I
Like betek said getting the head grinded to increase compression could be good
Beter to grind the block to increase the compression (as I said on my above post). Because the compression of the D14A3/4 is very low so with grinding a little bit the block will not be any harm. But grinding the head is more risky for future rebuilds.
mynameisowen wrote: I think you can also use the D16Y8 headgasket which is thinner than the D14 one. I'd double check that first though.
The headgasket from D16Y8 and D14s ek chassis is the same (part number 12251-P2J-004). Also this headgasket can be found on HRV and Accord D16 1999-2002 models and D16Y7

bluecivic

Post by bluecivic »

Ok guys thanks for the info. I left the head in today to a metal engineering place and i told him to skim the head as much as he could to raise compression.

Then when i get it back tomorrow i will then get it ported and polished just a bit.

Also will i need to get valve clearance set again after rebuild ?

Also i done a decat on car now but no any noticable difference...

I have y8 intake at the min should i use the 1.6 throttle body on rebuild with intake ?

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Set clearance = mandatory! I even do it after removing the cam and putting the same one back in!

Grinding... don't over do it, with stock cams detonation tends to occur fast when CR is over 10.5.... or even 10.5. You need good gasoline, probably the best octane available, not the cheap one please and a decent tuner who hears knock and doe not push ignition advance to its max.

Decat sometimes produces less power... in my own experience. Not because its bad in principle, but a decat car needs to have very different fuel maps compared to cat car. My D14 needed like 5 to 10% more fuel when decat to get more bhp compared to optimum point of cat. Got car tuned with cat -> 139 bhp. Put decat on -> 137 bhp. Tuned decat -> 142 bhp. Put cat on -> 122 bhp. Not joking, real numbers, same dyno, same ECU and eCtune guy. So often you win immediatly with decat, but sometimes you loose, especially when engine is mapped optimum for cat.

bluecivic

Post by bluecivic »

Thanx dodo but how do i get a remap with this d14 ecu in ?

BETEK

Post by BETEK »

Unfortunately you can't remap D14s SFi or OBD2 Ecus
You will need to convert the car to OBD1 (best solution)
or
to go piggy back (not so good solution)

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Ah well since you're doing a cheap as possible rebuild if I understand, probably your best of by simply putting decat, stock ECU and nice D16Z6 IM and such. Especially since you're doing it like that don't overdo the milling of the head.