sleeving options

sohc honda

sleeving options

Post by sohc honda »

hey guys, i'm getting ready for my d13b2 turbo build. are there any sleeving option for this block?
anyone know? i have queried with bisimoto as well...will see what they say.
K20Z4
D16Z6
D13B2

mynameisowen

Re: sleeving options

Post by mynameisowen »

Maybe Hondanick can help, though I havn't seen him around for a while... Do you want to sleeve to bore it out or to be stronger?
1996 EJ9 Civic
1998 BB8 Prelude Motegi VTi
1998, B16A2 EK4 Civic VTi

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.
BB8 - Rebuild after crash damage to front end.
EK4 - Daily driver. Strip and track prep once prelude project complete

sohc honda

Post by sohc honda »

mynameisowen wrote:Maybe Hondanick can help, though I havn't seen him around for a while... Do you want to sleeve to bore it out or to be stronger?
mainly stronger. ideally i want 76x76 block configuration and see how far i can push the d13 on boost
K20Z4
D16Z6
D13B2

sohc honda

Post by sohc honda »

maybe a long shot, but does anyone have the length of the d13 or d14 sleeves (in mm)?
bisimoto can do the sleeves but that requires me shipping my block to the states....with that shipping prices i might as well buy a new engine :|
i have also contacted golden eagle; they not fimiliar with the d13 but will be looking into it (holding thumbs for this)

i will be stripping and measuring the block later, but maybe someone has the info already.
K20Z4
D16Z6
D13B2

sohc honda

Post by sohc honda »

just so btw for those interested, i got confirmation from crower about their d13 rods advertised on their site.
its still being produced and has an HP rating of 600-700hp. you can also provide them with specification (hp goal and rpm) for custom built ones :D
now i just need to get 76mm turbo spec pistons
K20Z4
D16Z6
D13B2

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Nice info. Sorry I can't be of help, don't know any open D13 blocks (or D14) for that matter.

For everybody's info, I believe these 600-700 bhp rated Crower rods are a 100% fit for the D14 engines around here!

sohc honda

Post by sohc honda »

Dodo Bizar wrote:Nice info. Sorry I can't be of help, don't know any open D13 blocks (or D14) for that matter.

For everybody's info, I believe these 600-700 bhp rated Crower rods are a 100% fit for the D14 engines around here!
;)

i have made small bit of progress.
queried with darton/golden eagle/bisimoto; shipping from south africa to the states and back plus installation and part costs simply does not justify the amount of money.
with that amount i can prob buy a mildy worked b-series motor.

darton and golden eagle are able to make custom sleeves but i need to define the specification...this seems risky though as i have zero experience with sleeves lol (any help/views will be appreciated) will need to chat with my builder to get his views. will need to define the thickness required for the sleeve as well :arrow: this is a good link to see specifications of current manfuactured sleeves http://www.darton-international.com/sl_import.htm

i also have a local option, but the first iteration of those sleeves had issues. but i'm still investigating this. have queried with benson sleeves as well
K20Z4
D16Z6
D13B2

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

I am considering to follow your path... my car is suspended since sunday and after 355.000 km I am going to open it up again somewhere this year. Will at least measure my D14 one day on the inside this summer, maybe it's helpful?

So - yes - for some people who might regard the above as shocking, I am considering to leave the NA path and search for boost after all those years. Making a D14 as powerful as NA B16B is simply not possible due to the VTEC missing on the exhaust lobes (did simulations on this a few months ago). It's this realisation which make me wander off the D14 NA path and pulling me towards boost (I'd never come close to the specific power output of my B16B). But I ain't going for a stock 0.5 bar setup. More thinking of raising the bar for Boosted D as I did it for NA D-series... thinking of a target of 300 bhp and making a more luxurious show-worthy car than it has ever been.

But it's still a bit uncertain what I will do, money wise I can't tell if I manage to do this.

Also turbo of supercharger? I kinda want turbo for the noise reduction in the exhaust. But for safety I want supercharger, it has much more instant power. I like to throttle out of corners and I don't want a unsuspected under-steer freak out due to boost kicking in unsuspectingly.

Ow... and the 355.000 km should still be doubled to 710.000 km eventually :mrgreen: . So reliability is a must. I ain't going for short lived setup. So if I never be certain about rigidity I might cancel as well.

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

Joris, reliability and a 300bhp d14 don't go together man! I can't even tell whether a set up with forged pistons would be gentle on the cylinders for so long (can't imagine having forged pistons to last 300k without rebuilding). I am sure that if you had your 145bhp set up along with a seriously short gearbox (but with long 5th so as to be able to travel) your ej9 would be sweet.

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Well, let's not give up to hastely. Everything can be engineered :mrgreen: .

Other question, I just saw a picture of a block guard... which seems like a thing I can squeeze in any block no matter it's height?

This one for instance: http://www.advancespeedshop.com/clearan ... 15570.html

Seems like I can install it myself and might offer some protection... but I assume it's only a small help compared to an entire sleeve? Anyone able to guesstimate torque numbers you can safely do with block guard versus sleeves? Doing nothing I stay below 220 Nm... I would be happy to have safely 300Nm and go from there. I don't need 300 bhp at 3000 rpm which would require almost double Nm rate.

I consider myself pretty much a noob when we get to serious boosting... just trying to use the brains.