Cylinder head overhaul-Ideas?

pardizzle21

Cylinder head overhaul-Ideas?

Post by pardizzle21 »

Hi all,
I decided to make this topic as I will hopefully soon be doing an overhaul on my d16z6 head, because for the last 8-9 months my car has been overheating and has lead to (in my opion) a warped head/leaking gasket.I will also be replacing the waterpump

Does anyone have any recomendations/information ;)
A head gasket?d14z2 or d16z6?
Replace head bolts?
Tolerances on head/skimming?
How to factory connect the IACV coolant tubes to the intake mani?want to do away with blank-off tubes...
Any good things i could also get done to the head while its at the shop to be skimmed?

Any general info or tips would be apreciated, as the vtec head swap only worked for 3 months untill i started to get overheating issues :cry:

I have bubbles in the radiator/system and found some oil/butter shit under the oil cap the other day....

pardz

mynameisowen

Re: Cylinder head overhaul-Ideas?

Post by mynameisowen »

Damn, well at least you're getting it sorted.

You can buy head overhaul kits usually which have everything you would need inc. gaskets, valve stem oil seals, etc:

http://store.autodynamics-honda.com/hop2acyhegao.html

Whilst there you might as well go further and increase compression ratio (if you plan on staying NA). Check the flatness of the block as that might be warped and out of tolerance. If you can't find a service manual for our engines you might aswell ring Honda and ask for information/a service manual from them. Definitely worth doing it right!

Since you're taking the head off why not drop the sump and crankshaft and do main bearings, piston rings, hone cylinders, maybe port oil pump too?

Then your engine will basically be brand new.

Have you got it tuned yet?

Have you got another car to drive to work?

I'm jealous of the opportunity you have, I've always wanted to rebuild my D14 but never had the reason to!
1996 EJ9 Civic
1998 BB8 Prelude Motegi VTi
1998, B16A2 EK4 Civic VTi

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.
BB8 - Rebuild after crash damage to front end.
EK4 - Daily driver. Strip and track prep once prelude project complete

pardizzle21

Post by pardizzle21 »

Hi Owen,
The plan for my overhaul is to get head pressure tested and skimmed.I cant get the shop to check the block tho as i am not removing engine from car(everything is done depending on wallet and time without car)

I have a d16z6 oem honda head gasket £70,a water pump,going to get head bolts then plus the price of headwork.I plan on putting a straight edge to the block and test with a feeler guage as best as i can.

If the shop says the head is screwed sumhow then i dont know what i will do.Cant buy a new car, cant keep spending money on the civic.
(just had to have new wheel bearing and fitting,and swap cat to get it through MOT.
I really hope that after skim and new water pump the car will never overheat again and i can get back on with tuning the car.Want to fit a d13b7 gearbox(if any1 has detail on it) then get it mapped etc.
:D

mynameisowen

Post by mynameisowen »

I know exactly how you feel...!

Yep the feeler gauge straight method is good enough as long as you know what its supposed to be (service manual).

TBH I think its more likely to be a head issue than block but whilst you are there you should flush coolant and oil. Do you know if the oil and coolant are mixing? You might be able to check this with head off (see if block has any anomalies).

Keep us updated :)
1996 EJ9 Civic
1998 BB8 Prelude Motegi VTi
1998, B16A2 EK4 Civic VTi

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.
BB8 - Rebuild after crash damage to front end.
EK4 - Daily driver. Strip and track prep once prelude project complete