porting the cilinder head

mr kawa

porting the cilinder head

Post by mr kawa »

now i have been reading several topics.
I know that its not whize to port the intake side to the gasket. Maybe make it wider but thats it.
But what about the exhaust side. Can i port them to the gasket and give it a good polish?

Gr luuk

ilya

Re: porting the cilinder head

Post by ilya »

sorry. what is "whize" ? i think u need port only intake side and polish. Exhause side is allredy good. for 115 BHP
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=359 how2swap IM
EJ9 Russian Helper http://www.ej9.ru
Full Scheme SFI-OBD1 PDF [ENG]
SofRom 1.15 R2 - Chippest RTP Emulator like Hondata S300 and Moates Ostrich

mr kawa

Post by mr kawa »

I ment smart with "wize" haha

mynameisowen

Post by mynameisowen »

You can't really go wrong with gasket matching, no use in having an obstruction in your airflow. Any more though and you need to know what you're doing to a reasonable extent.
1996 EJ9 Civic
1998 BB8 Prelude Motegi VTi
1998, B16A2 EK4 Civic VTi

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.
BB8 - Rebuild after crash damage to front end.
EK4 - Daily driver. Strip and track prep once prelude project complete

novaksaotome

Post by novaksaotome »

it's a good idea to not oversize the ports, specially for NA applications, too big of a port reduces airflow velocity. In port & polish the exhaust side is the most important. On honda heads the biggest gains are found in the valve side of the port not in the gasket side (about 80 %) ;)

mr kawa

Post by mr kawa »

Is there somebody with a picture of their porting work before and after. Thank you all so far for the info

mr kawa

Post by mr kawa »

i have another question,
are the aftermarket Valves (like OMI-high preformance) that are for d15-16 also going to fit (plug play) for a stock d14 head? same goes for the springs.
im not sure to go for the retrainers sins i dont think they are the parts that are going to have a hard time.

BETEK

Post by BETEK »

mr kawa wrote: are the aftermarket Valves (like OMI-high preformance) that are for d15-16 also going to fit (plug play)
Yes

only some exceptions are there if remember correctly d15 3stage vtec and civic gx (natural gas) have other valves

icarus

Post by icarus »

mynameisowen wrote:You can't really go wrong with gasket matching, no use in having an obstruction in your airflow. Any more though and you need to know what you're doing to a reasonable extent.
The step is there for a reason...

http://www.theoldone.com/articles/d16a_head/

intake
The entry has been enlarged by approximately .020" all around, to make sure that the exit in the manifold runner is smaller, creating a step to fight reversion.
exhaust
This is assuming that the flange entries are of stock Honda gasket size. Note that the port exit is just a bit smaller than the scribed shape. This will insure that there will be at least a .070" step at the top and bottom of the port and .040" on each side. Making sure that there's such a mismatch is essential for best performance.

mynameisowen

Post by mynameisowen »

Would You care to explain why this is the case he doesn't mention anywhere why he does the things he does.
1996 EJ9 Civic
1998 BB8 Prelude Motegi VTi
1998, B16A2 EK4 Civic VTi

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.
BB8 - Rebuild after crash damage to front end.
EK4 - Daily driver. Strip and track prep once prelude project complete