D14 Custom connecting rod Group buy.Re-started!!

hondaNickx

D14 Custom connecting rod Group buy.Re-started!!

Post by hondaNickx »

Hi all, i've been looking around in finding suitable connecting rods for the D14 engine.I've been true numerous car brands and all sorts of catalogs but i can't find anything that fits.Now i asked a seller in the Uk about custom made rods for the D14 .These are the same design as eagle H beams rods ,and are forged steel rods.They are all made in china and this seller uses the rods himself in his subaru.He sells them on ebay for a lot other car brands.
Anyway he said the Minimum order was 12 Rods (or 3 sets )
and those would cost £750 for the 12 rods without bolts.
The bolts themself cost £60 extra.

So thats £250 (or 300€ ) for a Set of connecting rods.(without bolts)
We could order the rod bolts along with them or you could order (Arp bolts )afterwords yourself.

Are there people interested in this ?We only need 3 persons who want a set ,more is better offcourse?

With bolts it would be £310 (or €370) so it's still not that expensive compared to Crower rods.These are however H beam rods so they are heavier then stock rods.But they can handle anything you want to do with our D14.

Update 18/01/2015

If we order 3 sets then it would be £310 ( ~ €370)
If we order 6 sets then it would be £290 ( ~ €350 )
This includes ARP UNF rod bolts.

Shipping directly from the seller to Europe is £30 ( ~ €36)
Shipping to the UK directly from the seller is £10 ( ~ €15)

The seller is located in the UK .Shipping cost and prices are for a set of 4 rods.
As for the payments i will make one payment to the seller ,i will be doing this with paypal.So if people have paypal it would be easier to pay me that way.A bank transfer would work too ,but i have to transfer the money back onto my paypal account which cost extra time. Final details will come as soon as we have 3 or 6 people interested .
Last edited by hondaNickx on Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:40 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

saxophonias

Re: D14 Custom connecting rod Group buy ??

Post by saxophonias »

they are meant both for turbo and n/a tune?

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

saxophonias wrote:they are meant both for turbo and n/a tune?

You can use them both for N/A or turbo.Although for N/a you would prefer I beam rods cause they are lighter then H-Beam rods.

I've been speaking with the seller again and asked if we maybe could do 2 different length of connecting rods.

For example :

A N/A rod that would fit with P29 pistons
A Turbo rod that would fit with Vitara rods.

We need to have at least 3 sets of each type so 6 sets in total ,then the price would come down to £230 without rod bolts.So that's £290 (€345 ) with rod bolts .Offcourse there would be a small additional fee for shipping cost.

Here's how they look like

They look and cost the same as Eagle H beam rods, i'm pretty sure they are all made in the same factory in china.

Are there people interest in this ?I could also post this around in other Dutch honda related forums,but i need to know if there will be enough interest in these.I know most of you don't like to spend this amount of money on their D14 engine but at ~€350 these rods aren't that expensive and we could choose in what length we would want them.
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

mr kawa

Post by mr kawa »

I already replied. Im interested. But what kind of low pressure pistons can we use for a turbo setup?

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

Well if we would use Vitara pistons with the stock D14 head we would have really low compression of 7.66 :1 . The D16 engines have 8.5 :1 because they have more volume (cc's).
For turbo use i think most will be looking to get between 8.5 -9.5 cr.

When i was searching for connecting rods i've found more 75mm pistons that other brands are using even a lot of rods that fit D15 cranks.

Suzuki swift 1.6 /1.5/1.3 (G16A/B ,G15 ,G13A/B in oversize )
Rover 1.4L K-series Rover Metro/25/200/
Toyota Yaris/Corolla/ 1NZFE

I you want cheap pistons for turbo you got to search around or basicly use the oem pistons.D17a2 pistons are available on ebay from nippon and those have a dish of -6.2cc which would give you around 9 : 1 cr.

The stock D14z2/4 PHXG pistons from the 1999-2000 civic ej9 are very good for boost.They are thick cast as can be seen in the pictures i posted on them.

If you are going to be boosting a lot psi aftermarket pistons would be the best for you .

For me i would like to Have rods with a Length of 137.7mm
This will work with Wossner D16z6 pistons with a compression height of 29.8mm
And Wiseco pistons for d16z6

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

So what are your plans for a boost project? Can you elaborate so as to see where we can go with this? ;)

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

saxophonias wrote:So what are your plans for a boost project? Can you elaborate so as to see where we can go with this? ;)
I'm not boosting ,i'm staying N/a ;)
I was just saying this for people that want to boost their D14.

So is there nobody else interested ? I'm hoping we at least get to the minimum of 3 sets .

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

Well there's very little interest in this ,i don't even think we can get to 3 sets .
As of now we only have 2 guys interested .Could this topic be placed on top or somehow be noticed by everyone on this forum ?

I like to offer this to everyone , and give everyone a chance.
The more people we can gather the cheaper they get!

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

I can make it sticky and place it on the group buys section. Thanks for the concern Nick! ;)

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

saxophonias wrote:I can make it sticky and place it on the group buys section. Thanks for the concern Nick! ;)
Yes i did,but i don't think this will continue due to lack of interest.I Will leave this open perhaps more interest will come in time.I Continued to search for rods from other brand 1.4 l engines but no luck so far.These d14 rods have odd dimensions.I Did found several that would fit d15 and d16 engines.