D-series engines

Here new articles are build and discussed before the go online.
Post Reply
User avatar
Dodo Bizar
Site Admin
Posts: 1991
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:36 pm

D-series engines

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Ok this article will be anything but a straight write-up. I want to present an overview of D-series engines I know from ~'88 to '00. And to shortly tell about the options. Any ideas about presentation etc. are welcome.

Normal I/H/E upgrades are not covered.

D13B2 (75 bhp) - usually difficult to enhance since its carburated
D15B2 (90 bhp) --> MPFi swap --> ~D15B7 (102 bhp)

D15B7 (102 bhp) --> ESi intake manifold swap (~ +few hp)
D15B7 (102 bhp) --> ESi head swap (a.k.a. mini-me) --> (128 to 142 bhp incl. I/H/E)
ESi = D16Z6/Z9 / D16Y8 (125/128 bhp)

D14A3/Z1 (75 bhp) --> TB gasket swap (27 to 55 mm) --> D14A4/Z2 (90 bhp)
D14A4/Z2 (90 bhp) --> sideflow manifold swap (110 to 123 bhp incl. I/H/E)
D14A4/Z2 (90 bhp) --> ESi head swap (a.k.a. city-me) --> (132 to 137 bhp incl. I/H/E)

D15Z6 (115 bhp) --> ESi cam assembly swap (a.k.a. mini-e) --> (139 to 150 bhp)

Mayby it should be presented in a hierarchy, tree shape, bhp numbers are just from my personaly dyno experience. Any additions and popular engine codes I should not forget about... give them.

hondaNickx
Posts: 713
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:06 am
Location: Belgium

Re: D-series engines

Post by hondaNickx »

Jdm D15b ;)
D16a9 /D16ZC
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

User avatar
mynameisowen
Posts: 1307
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:38 am
Location: London or Oxford, England
Contact:

Re: D-series engines

Post by mynameisowen »

add OBD1 swap and a decent tune to the D14A4. Whats a normal power output from a decent tune? with I/H/E
1996 EJ9 Civic
1998 BB8 Prelude Motegi VTi
1998, B16A2 EK4 Civic VTi

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.
BB8 - Rebuild after crash damage to front end.
EK4 - Daily driver. Strip and track prep once prelude project complete

hondaNickx
Posts: 713
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:06 am
Location: Belgium

Re: D-series engines

Post by hondaNickx »

mynameisowen wrote:add OBD1 swap and a decent tune to the D14A4. Whats a normal power output from a decent tune? with I/H/E
With intake manifold swap they all are around ~110-120+ hp.
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

User avatar
mynameisowen
Posts: 1307
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:38 am
Location: London or Oxford, England
Contact:

Re: D-series engines

Post by mynameisowen »

thats great considering the money invested methinks
1996 EJ9 Civic
1998 BB8 Prelude Motegi VTi
1998, B16A2 EK4 Civic VTi

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.
BB8 - Rebuild after crash damage to front end.
EK4 - Daily driver. Strip and track prep once prelude project complete

User avatar
cad civic mechanic
Posts: 140
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:08 pm
Location: Bangor N.I

Re: D-series engines

Post by cad civic mechanic »

Dodo Bizar wrote:Ok this article will be anything but a straight write-up. I want to present an overview of D-series engines I know from ~'88 to '00. And to shortly tell about the options. Any ideas about presentation etc. are welcome.

Normal I/H/E upgrades are not covered.

D13B2 (75 bhp) - usually difficult to enhance since its carburated
D15B2 (90 bhp) --> MPFi swap --> ~D15B7 (102 bhp)

D15B7 (102 bhp) --> ESi intake manifold swap (~ +few hp)
D15B7 (102 bhp) --> ESi head swap (a.k.a. mini-me) --> (128 to 142 bhp incl. I/H/E)
ESi = D16Z6/Z9 / D16Y8 (125/128 bhp)

D14A3/Z1 (75 bhp) --> TB gasket swap (27 to 55 mm) --> D14A4/Z2 (90 bhp)
D14A4/Z2 (90 bhp) --> sideflow manifold swap (110 to 123 bhp incl. I/H/E)
D14A4/Z2 (90 bhp) --> ESi head swap (a.k.a. city-me) --> (132 to 137 bhp incl. I/H/E)

D15Z6 (115 bhp) --> ESi cam assembly swap (a.k.a. mini-e) --> (139 to 150 bhp)

Mayby it should be presented in a hierarchy, tree shape, bhp numbers are just from my personaly dyno experience. Any additions and popular engine codes I should not forget about... give them.
Which of the above engines is the D14Z4 (90 bhp 1.4 IS) similar to ?
Dont slack her till you wreck her, horse on regardless

User avatar
Dodo Bizar
Site Admin
Posts: 1991
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:36 pm

Re: D-series engines

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Performance wise it's equal to D14A4/Z2 if I am correct (not sure I don't mix up the Z1/Z2, can somebody confirm?). But since it has already sideflow intake (right?) I think it deserves its own special attention. Actually can somebody give me the cam specs of it? I wonder if it has a milder cam since it produces the same hp with better inlet?

Noted ;).

User avatar
cad civic mechanic
Posts: 140
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:08 pm
Location: Bangor N.I

Re: D-series engines

Post by cad civic mechanic »

Dodo Bizar wrote:Performance wise it's equal to D14A4/Z2 if I am correct (not sure I don't mix up the Z1/Z2, can somebody confirm?). But since it has already sideflow intake (right?) I think it deserves its own special attention. Actually can somebody give me the cam specs of it? I wonder if it has a milder cam since it produces the same hp with better inlet?

Noted ;).
Yeah has a side flow manifold, I uploaded a few more pics of it and the tb. The hynes manual doesnt list the Z4, only the A4 so I think your on to something there 8-)
Dont slack her till you wreck her, horse on regardless

User avatar
Dodo Bizar
Site Admin
Posts: 1991
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:36 pm

Re: D-series engines

Post by Dodo Bizar »

And I'll add the basic headshape, DOHC, SOHV with sparkplugs from the inlet side and SOHC with the sparkplugs from the outlet side.

Post Reply