VTEC amendment

Here new articles are build and discussed before the go online.
Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

VTEC amendment

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Thnx to novak to point it out, I should explain a bit more about connecting the VTEC when performing mini-me.
When no power is supplied to the VTEC solenoid the valve is closed, no oil is passed through the VTEC drums inside the rocker arms and no VTEC is engaged. Meaning the rockers are running on its lower non-VTEC lobes.

Now by connecting the VTS pin from the ECU to the 1-wire connector the ECU can send power to the VTEC solenoid. So to engage VTEC around 4 to 6k rpm depending on your configuration. This is required to have VTEC work. What it does is sent oil to the for mentioned drums, interlocking all rockerarms (so the lost motion arms are locked) and forces the rockers to move with the higher VTEC lobe.

There is a secondary thing going on. On some VTEC solenoids there is a oil pressure sensor as well. This will have a 2-wire connector, green. Those two wires are VTM (or VTPS) on the ECU and a ground signal originating from SG2 if you want to do it properly.

Now there are 4 options:
1: Your solenoid has the pressure switch, the ECU expects a pressure switch. Normal for most OBD1 cars, just connect as above.

2: Your solenoid has no pressure switch, the ECU does not expect it. Normal for most OBD2 cars, no connections possible or needed.

3: Hybrid setup: your solenoid has de pressure switch, but the ECU does not expect it. No connections possible, leave the pressure switch unconnected.

4: Hybrid setup which is very common: your solenoid has no pressure switch, but the ECU expects it! Happens when you have D16Y8 head combined with P28 ECU as in my setup. In this case we can't connect the pressure switch since it is not there. To fool the ECU you connect a split from the properly connected VTS signal towards the VTM (or VTPS) on the ECU. This setup only once triggered an error code in my case, but is 99.9% failsafe. Right after engagement the ECU puts 12V on VTS. then it starts measuring for the oil pressure signal... hey what do you know, it sees 12V! So it is ok it thinks. There is a nicer solution: which is switching of the VTEC pressure switch error code in the ECU which most ECU software is able to do.

Re: VTEC amendment

Post by 007 »

there are two schools of thought here. some say that the ECU looks at oil pressure *before* it sends a VTS signal and some say *after*.

if it is indeed true that the ECU looks at the VTPS before engaging VTS, then jumping VTS to VTPS will not work because it will be like a chicken and egg story.

in my opinion a better, more certain way would be to ground the VTPS pin. if the wiring harness has a VTPC plug but the solenoid doesnt have the switch, then one can simply jump the two pins at the plug. if not, one can do the same thing at the ECU pin side. give me a minute while I look up the specific pins in question...

here:

of course, the absolute best two ways would be in order of preference:
1. add a VTPS to make sure that there is enough oil pressure to warrant switching maps
2. disable it if the software provides such an option.

sktaroins

Re: VTEC amendment

Post by sktaroins »

waah we should continue this conversation too - so basically for a vtec setup 4me with no ecu is an important topic 2me coz am next in this car mods hehe for Gods sake hopefully this year.

but please carry on