My people demand, I shall give!

Here new articles are build and discussed before the go online.
Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

My people demand, I shall give!

Post by Dodo Bizar »

So, thats about the most awkward topic opener I good get.

I just tried to install a wiki server on DU.

And you know what, it worked!

I'd like everybody to test out whether they can make accounts, edit etc. Also see if you can get into any security breaches. The database servers are btw seperated. So if the wiki crashes, the forum should not be affected.

Except for the most basic install, I did not do shit, so you even see the wikimedia logo still... I'll cover that another day. I would actually like to have the same look and feel/colour sheme as this forum if that is possible. All help is welcome.

Once we have the feeling everything is working and its in a 'good to go' state I'll add the wiki to the website. For now I only grant my already approaved forum users the webadress:

http://www.dodo-upgrades.nl/du_wiki

Picture uploading is still disabled, I have to look into the security details of it before enabling it, but no time now.

Let me know.

mynameisowen

Re: My people demand, I shall give!

Post by mynameisowen »

This is great news! Maybe we can do what I was suggesting here:
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=629
On the wiki instead as its probably more accessible or easy to follow :)
1996 EJ9 Civic
1998 BB8 Prelude Motegi VTi
1998, B16A2 EK4 Civic VTi

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.
BB8 - Rebuild after crash damage to front end.
EK4 - Daily driver. Strip and track prep once prelude project complete

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

That was my intend as well :mrgreen: . I saw you were able to enter and change the wiki.

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Darn it, I was able to put a logo in the correct place. But the rest of the site is difficult. I changed the default skin from 'monobook' to 'vector'. I really think vector looks better and gives a better experience. Now changing the style sheets is easy, but none of the vector style sheets appear to have any influence on the looks. I tried dozens of colorcode changes, changing FFFFFF or other very white colors to much darker tones to see when I hit the style sheet actually used... but did not find any style sheet. The wiki stayed brilliant white...

On mediawiki I can find 2 darker styles, one really having colors similar to the DU site and forum, but I don't want to loose the fresh look vector offers. Hmmm... still gonna try add the WOW (yes from Blizzard) theme...

Btw picture uploading is enabled.

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Ow darn, the nice looking WOW was based on Monaco, so I installed Monaco and guess what... it is white and ugly by default. Can anybody give me advise on the wiki style sheet for vector?

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Uhm feel free to edit the wiki... I don't think I can get it to a black color scheme soon, lets just make it work.

mynameisowen

Post by mynameisowen »

Well... What are the plans for the wiki? What information do you want on there? Im happy to start writing articles for it (after my exams) but were to start? Also things will need to be addressed in order of importance and then built on so we dont have a million small articles. Rather have most of the information in a few big articles.

It would be good if people who are willing to write/edit/check peoples articles to put their names here or something.
1996 EJ9 Civic
1998 BB8 Prelude Motegi VTi
1998, B16A2 EK4 Civic VTi

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.
BB8 - Rebuild after crash damage to front end.
EK4 - Daily driver. Strip and track prep once prelude project complete

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Well... a similar strategy as my website might be a starting point, collect some articles on D14 and ECU tuning, except more people can edit them now beyond me.

cad civic mechanic

Post by cad civic mechanic »

mynameisowen wrote:Well... What are the plans for the wiki? What information do you want on there? Im happy to start writing articles for it (after my exams) but were to start? Also things will need to be addressed in order of importance and then built on so we dont have a million small articles. Rather have most of the information in a few big articles.

It would be good if people who are willing to write/edit/check peoples articles to put their names here or something.
Count me in ! :D
Dont slack her till you wreck her, horse on regardless

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

well done Joris! Great initiative!