Yellow/foggy headlights

Discuss about interior, gadgets, and cosmetics
Dwardu

Yellow/foggy headlights

Post by Dwardu »

My lights were yellowing quite a lot and
with a bit of googling found this guide: http://www.civiclife.net/board/topic/57 ... eadlights/

Worked great! That meguiar's stuff does magic

The pic doesnt properly show bad my lights were at the start

--

BETEK

Re: Yellow/foggy headlights

Post by BETEK »

Nice result ;)
The yellow headlights happens when car be washing with brushes
Better to wash the car with sponge but I know that is more difficult and needs more time

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

it has started happening to mine too. I am afraid this result is only temporary as they will tend to become foggy again. The protective material has gone which leads to this result. It is like the paint that fades.

Dwardu

Post by Dwardu »

not if you use that meguiar's plastx, it keeps the clarity for a long time according to people who have used it

It won't last as long as the original finish but giving it a little touch up once a year is all you need and its a small price to pay!
--

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

i am pretty sure every similar product will do the same job. Once the varnish is gone from the headlight, then by waxing it you only reduce the bad-yellow surface of the plastic and the deeper you go the shiner it is, as the newer one material comes to the surface. I think that, how long will last, mainly depends on the conditions the headlight is exposed to. Mine becomes to fade from the upper lever which is closer to the bonnet. I once waxed only this surface and noticed that it was shiny but only for a couple of months. The reason i don't wax all the headlight is that if i do so, i am pretty sure that i will destroy the remaining varnish on the rest of the surface making it pretty dull for ever. So the permanent solution would be to have it varnished and then it will be like new for ever. Of course if the headlight has no varnish left and it is pretty dull then yeap why not, wax it and you are good to go ;)

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

I use Commandant 4 for it, is it an international brand this Commandant?

Got the same amazing result as the pictures above.

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

for how long? Is it a permanent result?

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Probably not permanent, but its nice for a few months now.