To mini-me or not?

General discussions on EJ9 and D14 improvements. How far can you reach?
saxophonias

To mini-me or not?

Post by saxophonias »

That was a dilemma i had some time ago, but now things have become clearer. Let me explain my thoughts.
Why should someone do the mini me?
1.add vtec-->Some people say that the vtec heads flow better and have a better valvetrain in general. Then you have the benefits of the vtec cam (mild low-mid revs and aggressive high). Then by swapping an y8 head the compression of the d14 engine rises which is good.
2.By doing the min-me you have numerous choices for vtec cams.

Still plenty of job is required, plenty of parts which mainly you are going to get as used. Then you get the vtec dizzys which fail every 100-120K km in contrast to non-vtec.

The second choice is to keep your own head.
By doing that you might need to reinforce the valvetrain (springs-retainers), find a good cam which is the most difficult thing. Non vtec sohc cams are hard to find. Still there are some very good regrinds out there. As for flow of non-vtec heads, Bisimoto has told me that they flow the same so no loose from there. Furthermore we know that the size of the d14 valves i also the same with y8 so we are good again. Still we have to go obd1 so as to increase the rev limiter and chip the ecu.

For these reason i am more inclined to keeping the stock d14 head and adding a nice in.

demolik

Re: To mini-me or not?

Post by demolik »

good question...
I'm rather gettin the vtec, it just honda classic :)
But on the other hand I have obd1 right now, and if i get custom cam + tune could give better resoult, and cost is very close...

hmmmm don't know
Last edited by demolik on Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

''henrique b correia''
think a mini me is the best thing to do in a d14, better fuel consumption and a lot more power...and is the base for even more power, because you can use aftermarket valvetrain, cam shaft, ecu, throttlebody anda a lot more upgraded parts that are harder to find for a stock d14...
Basically d14 valves, springs, retainers and cam gear are the same like d16y models, so you can find any aftermarket stuff you need meant for these engines.. Moreover It is imperative to go obd1 and since then no problem as you will need obd1 TB and intake manifold of similar pattern.

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

For me personally I was a strong believer of VTEC is not needed. Just kick in a cam with same specs and you have the same power.

But as we all know I turned VTEC, first of all for the easy access to a cam which is able to breath at high revs. Secondly, fuel economy is brilliant of those things. Honda's whole concept of having both an economic and racy engine... it just works that way.

I think Bisi is totally right about the flow rates of both heads, but I do think to remember that inlet ports were like 1 or 2 mm smaller. But even if that were true I can imagine it doesn't make the diff.

So, let fuel economy be the most important reason to go VTEC. After the head swap with initial OEM cams I ran easily 16-17kms per liter. Nowadays with the Skunk2 setup 14.7 was hard to get, 14+ was more normal. Only after my current dizzy refreshment it seems I am at the plus side of 15 again, but have to wait a few tank fills before I am sure.

Law_

Post by Law_ »

In my humble opinion i'm guessing that mini me swap is the way to go.
The price of the evolving the d14 head is big. the d16 fits as a glove, you just have to buy an adjustable cam Gear. The flow is probably better, the vtec is a major advantage, and no need of buying springs and retainers for decent power wich is expensive. The head is relativly easy to find and gives compression = power and you can tell your friends you got a 1.6L head in there. that is undeniable advantage. kidding :D

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

I don't think it's very economical. I was planning on having a d16y8 head serviced and polished and the cost of that was 250USD. Then you need to find many other parts to make it work. Of course you can just drop a stock y8/z6 head with all included, but how can you be sure of it's condition? Imagine only having cracked somewhere or having been overheated. If your head is in good condition then you don't risk so much. The valves are the same to both valvetrain, i was just thinking of bigger ones in order to gain more power. It's not an easy task man! :mrgreen:

Law_

Post by Law_ »

You're right about the condition of the head. "Henrique b correia" is selling me an Y8 and he has experience on that, he will verify the general state. But i agree that my stock head with 100'000kms (62000miles) will do a great job also. I also agree that is not easy to trust someone to garantee you the good state of such a complex part, but all included will be cheap... Thats the main reason i go that way ;) That and the compression ratio hehe. Cheers

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

The compression ratio increase is not great though. According to Joris you reach 9.5 from 9.1. I think that compression ratio helps you more in mid revs and not so much, if not at all at the higher end of the powerband.

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

And the ratio gain with D16Z6 is head is even smaller, if not none. Virtually the compression chambers of the Z6 head looked identical to the D14.

Law_

Post by Law_ »

So, Lets enumerate the parts needed and the price for a Good Setup

Mini Me:
Cam Gear (100eur)
Distriburetor (80eur)
Complete Head with VTEC solenoid (150eur)
P28 / P2P ECU and original cables from the motor (150eur)
Gaskets and Acessories (50eur)

The Values are little bit guessing and are more than the parts i have available round here. But you have always expenses you dont count with... so Lets say 500eur aprox. round here.

Its common to buy the Intake Manifold and Throttle Body as you do in the Head Job. The power will rise to 130-140 hp (engine).