To mini-me or not?

General discussions on EJ9 and D14 improvements. How far can you reach?
Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Re: To mini-me or not?

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Did the stud brake during installation or during usage? Once installation is done usage should be no problem since I have seen 0.5 bar setups runs easily. A NA setup will never get close to the maximum forces excerted during the turbo setup... aint it? But bummer, stud that actually broke, not nice...

SquirtAndSpark

Post by SquirtAndSpark »

and maybe upgrade the spark plugs because the new C/R...

mynameisowen

Post by mynameisowen »

I think for the amount of power you get out of mini me it is really worth it. You get fuel economy and close to 100bhp/liter. Sure if you are a professional you could just do a obd1 conversion, get a new cam, raise compression and remap and you could get the same but a VTEC swap is easier and cheaper as long as the head you buy is in good condition.

by the way does anyone know whether is cheaper to buy one of these reconditioned heads on ebay or to buy a rebuild kit and do it yourself??
1996 EJ9 Civic
1998 BB8 Prelude Motegi VTi
1998, B16A2 EK4 Civic VTi

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.
BB8 - Rebuild after crash damage to front end.
EK4 - Daily driver. Strip and track prep once prelude project complete

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

if you buy any reconditioned ones from usa, it is likely that the head won't have all the parts you need, meaning that you'll have to gather them afterwards. So the cost will rise significantly.

Law_

Post by Law_ »

Dodo Bizar wrote:Did the stud brake during installation or during usage? Once installation is done usage should be no problem since I have seen 0.5 bar setups runs easily. A NA setup will never get close to the maximum forces excerted during the turbo setup... aint it? But bummer, stud that actually broke, not nice...
how much does the studs cost?
is something considerable?

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

Oem studs cost as much as ARP studs.They go around 90-100euro and arp go for around $90-$100 .For a n/a setup just buy new oem D14 studs and torque them properly.
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

I hope oem studs aren't made in Korea, China or similar countries, as it happens a lot lately for many oem parts.

Law_

Post by Law_ »

we should continue to discuss this =) i like the theme ;)
"ARP products are proudly made in the USA"