Tuning Workshop

General discussions on EJ9 and D14 improvements. How far can you reach?
saxophonias

Tuning Workshop

Post by saxophonias »

As requested :) here we will be brainstorming or discussing some tuning ideas that come to our mind ;)

mynameisowen

Re: Tuning Workshop

Post by mynameisowen »

:) Hey guys i thought this would be good topic for new beginners or people looking a bit of inspiration for thier car. Im gonna list a few different tuning options that are good starting points for your D14.

Although ive got good knowledge on engines when it comes to the actual tuning itself im just a begginer and there are other people on this site that have actually done all of this and more :)

Everyone is welcome to add their tuning options or ask questions (dont be shy) :)

Sooo to begin with;

1- Swap you intake manifold to a better designed one from a different D-series motor!!! cant push this enough!!! for the amount of money you spend this is by far the best upgrade! We all know to make more power you need more air and the standard D14 manifold is appalling :)

You could spend money on performance panel filters and induction kits but its not worth it.
There is a pretty extensive guide on this site courtesy of Joris on how to do it. Commonly used ones are the D16Y8, D16Z6, and D15B7 manifolds.

2- Exhaust, so your now getting more air into the engine but you need an efficient exhuast system to remove the air. the standard one is designed to reduce air speed (to make it quiet) and reduce emissions with the cat.

First you want to pick an exhuast manifold (or header if your american :) ) anything would be an improvement over the standard one really, you can spend big bucks for something like bisimoto but in the end its just a D14 so i say go for something under £200 that just does the job.

then your gonna want a catback system, really you dont want to go above 2.5 inches (~60mm) unless you have a turbo or you just like making noise! again any good quality system is fine, get a custom one from a garage and you normally get a lifetime guarantee aswell :D.

now i think you should make a choice, do you want to invest more money and get more power. Are you satisfied with your (depending on upgrades) 110hp+ engine or you do you want to make your car faster and better performing through the corners?
By freeing up the intake and exhuast you will have "liberated" quite a bit of power from the engine and now you want get turn that energy into speed without wasting it as wheelspin, and rolling all over the place in the corners....

I will continue this later, please feel free to add whatever you like.
1996 EJ9 Civic
1998 BB8 Prelude Motegi VTi
1998, B16A2 EK4 Civic VTi

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.
BB8 - Rebuild after crash damage to front end.
EK4 - Daily driver. Strip and track prep once prelude project complete

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

Nice write up ;)
Here is a topic about the tuning of d14.

Still to add some more. I think that we have the cheapest 25hp upgrade as this can be achieved almost with any custom exhaust, a cheap e-bay header and a stock honda intake manifold.

From there on there is another stage for some extra power. It's the obd1 swap which will enable some more performance. This along with an adjustable cam gear i estimate will deliver something like 122-127hps.
From there on the cost is rising. We need a good cam, better ecu tuning, and some better valve springs and retainers. A bisi cam along with some extra revving and big exhaust-header can probably reach 140hp. The barrier of 150hp i think could be broken with high end headers, higher compression, lighter integral parts, and serious work on the flow. But the cost is rising significant.

baz

Post by baz »

Something like this?

1. Intake
2. Exhaust
3. Tune it, OBD1.
4. Camshaft, retainters, valves.
5. VTEC
6. Turbo
7..?
8. ??
9. ???
10. Swap engine :mrgreen:
D14A3-OBD1-I/H/E
126 hp /145 Nm

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

if you go to the turbo side, then there is no need to swap engine as the power you get is great. If you brake the d14 then you get another one for 200-300e. Imagine breaking a b16/b18 :roll:

Law_

Post by Law_ »

Excelent write up owen...
Someone forgot Mini-me conversion !
The reason of existence of DU :D

After OBD 1 Swap (excelent for performance / fuel consumption due to Mpfi), a good alternative is to buy a complete D16Y8 head, wich will bring vtec (for performance), compression (for better fuel / air mixture in the cylinder) and power as a consequence + Better than stock flow (as some say).

For this is needed:

Dizzy (TD-Something)
P28 ECU (or other one)
Complete Head (you can port it cheap when you buy it)

Cheers

baz

Post by baz »

saxophonias wrote:if you go to the turbo side, then there is no need to swap engine as the power you get is great. If you brake the d14 then you get another one for 200-300e. Imagine breaking a b16/b18 :roll:
Yeah you are right, D14 block come for €250,- for that amount of money its unlikely to find a B16/B18 or K20/H22.

So that means the D-type engine is a cheap way to gain power :D
D14A3-OBD1-I/H/E
126 hp /145 Nm

mynameisowen

Post by mynameisowen »

thanks, im gonna write about the mini-me next. Could someone do a bit about suspension stuff as i dont know much on that subject, maybe polivios since you have some experience on the subject.

baz i think the list would be something like this;

1. Intake
2. Exhaust
3. Tune it, OBD1.
4. Mini-me
5. choose wether you want to go N/A or Turbo
6. For turbo: buy a turbo kit running around 4psi with standard components and tune
6: For N/A: buy a cam, increase compression, better manifolds, tune.

Swap engine is not allowed!!! traitor!!!! :)
1996 EJ9 Civic
1998 BB8 Prelude Motegi VTi
1998, B16A2 EK4 Civic VTi

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.
BB8 - Rebuild after crash damage to front end.
EK4 - Daily driver. Strip and track prep once prelude project complete

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

I agree with this :mrgreen: .

Law_

Post by Law_ »

mynameisowen wrote:Swap engine is not allowed!!! traitor!!!! :)
Hehe !