D14 strength, D14 + Turbo + Vtec crazy?

General discussions on EJ9 and D14 improvements. How far can you reach?
Spoof

D14 strength, D14 + Turbo + Vtec crazy?

Post by Spoof »

So, next step. Adding Vtec to my d14.
I`m planning to put a d16z6 head on my d14, so i get vtec.
But i have already turbo on it. In jan/feb i will get a dyno, but till then i dont now the HP.

Whats your opinion, can the stock d14 handle turbo and vtec?
I`ve heard that because with the d16z6 head the torq in the higher revs will nog increase, it should be oke.

saxophonias

Re: D14 strength, D14 + Turbo + Vtec crazy?

Post by saxophonias »

First of all how much are you planning to do with your engine? I would suggest you add some new vitara pistons which you can find for almost 100 USD. They can handle a lot of psi. The vtec system will make it more friendly to lower and mid revs. Tell us a bit about your budget. If you go turbo i don't find the vtec conversion very useful.

Spoof

Post by Spoof »

I already have turbo. With the vtec the power range below will increase a lot.

BETEK

Post by BETEK »

saxophonias wrote:I would suggest you add some new vitara pistons which you can find for almost 100 USD. They can handle a lot of psi.
These pistons what rods need to work?

mynameisowen

Post by mynameisowen »

if your looking for lots of power you dont need VTEC. It just increases driveability, i.e you can have a semi fast car, but also easy to drive/economic.

If you want increase your boost then dont bother with VTEC just make sure your rods and pistons can take the boost.

If you want to keep the same boost and then add VTEC then go for it but i wouldnt expect a big difference :)
1996 EJ9 Civic
1998 BB8 Prelude Motegi VTi
1998, B16A2 EK4 Civic VTi

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.
BB8 - Rebuild after crash damage to front end.
EK4 - Daily driver. Strip and track prep once prelude project complete

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

BETEK wrote:
saxophonias wrote:I would suggest you add some new vitara pistons which you can find for almost 100 USD. They can handle a lot of psi.
These pistons what rods need to work?
we have to look it up! vitara pistons are a straight swap for d15. We have to calculate the height with the d14 stock rods. the vitara pistons give a c/r of 8 aprox. I think we can use d13 rods right? And there must be aftermarket stonger rods. Crower if i am right.

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

I personally think VTEC +boost is ideal to get the most hp of your car without building the entire block.

The D16Z6 head will hardly increase CR.. I suppose 9.3 or 9.4 when you don't mill it. From me you know with stock ESi cam you can get close to 140 bhp, in my case 137 without spending big sums.

It is known stock D14 with stock compression can handle 0.5 bar or around 7/8 PSi... most turbo kits are around these numbers. Increasing peak torque around 50% from stock.

Combining both will give a pretty safe combination that can get you over 200 bhp (look at Sebastix). Personally, 200 bhp is more than enough, with the easy torque a turbo delivers you get a brilliant car, given things stay in one piece. Btw do use 98 octane fuel for safety please.

But anyway, my point is, I've proven rods can handle VTEC rpms easy in the D14, others have proven rods can cope with 0.5 bar... and increasing rpm does not increase compression stresses, or hardly on the rods. As long as temperatures stay normal...

Otherwise one could argue that I should do the same, slam a 0.5 bar turbo setup on my setup, gives the same result. I wont for the sake of N/A curiousity, but I believe a D14 turbo VTEC without expensive rebuild could give a really big smile on your face, and be reliable for years if done properly.

Got a wideband AFR btw?

Spoof

Post by Spoof »

Thanks for the attention everybody!

First of all, i knof that if i want more top hp the easy`st thing to do is turn up the boost. But like you guys already sayd, i have to take my engine apart then. Now, because its a relative big turbo, i got boost from 4k rpm. With the d16z6, i think im running easy`r to that point, so faster boost = faster 0-100.

Now somebody told me that if i changed my underengine (dont now how its called in english) with a d16y7 (wich are cheap), i could turn up the boost. Do someone got more info about that?

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

A stock D14 bottem end is wayyy better then a stock y7 bottem end.
Mainly because the Y serie engines use the low/bad oil pump and are known to trow bearings even in stock use .This could be solved by porting the oil pump.I think the Stock D14 bottem end can handle more boost then that crappy y7 bottem end.The D14 could handle more with stock rods If you would replace the stock rod bolts with Arp rod bolts and port the D14 oil pump .Tuning is also a big key factor with holding or breaking your engine.
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

Law_

Post by Law_ »

hondaNickx wrote:A stock D14 bottem end is wayyy better then a stock y7 bottem end.
Mainly because the Y serie engines use the low/bad oil pump and are known to trow bearings even in stock use .This could be solved by porting the oil pump.I think the Stock D14 bottem end can handle more boost then that crappy y7 bottem end.The D14 could handle more with stock rods If you would replace the stock rod bolts with Arp rod bolts and port the D14 oil pump .Tuning is also a big key factor with holding or breaking your engine.
interessting x)