D14 strength, D14 + Turbo + Vtec crazy?

General discussions on EJ9 and D14 improvements. How far can you reach?
Spoof

Re: D14 strength, D14 + Turbo + Vtec crazy?

Post by Spoof »

Yeah. Mmh, ok. I think the d16z6 head is perfect for what i want. Now i have to look for i good head, so i dont get a oil consumer.

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

Afaik Martin OMI Performance has a D16z6 head for sale with a complete omi valvetrain and a mild port job . ;)
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

Spoof

Post by Spoof »

Yeah i saw it, but also the price :| Still student ha ;)

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

My guts say keeping the D14 bottom is safer than going Y7 just like Nick says... D14's prove often to be very enduring and reliable. Not that I know that many Y7's that broke myself, but I don't know a single one with 300k on it...

lumpenst

Post by lumpenst »

Yes vitara piston are a direct fit but it yields too low comp ratio because of the comp height and the dish volume. You may need to do some altering with the block or head. Or you can go for forged pistons for d16a6 which has same comp height with d14 pistons.

The stock engine is good for max 200-220hp depending on tune. Honda piston ring lands dont like boost and tend to crack. The d14 rods have the size of a pencil so they need a replacement too if you are shooting for high hp goals

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

D16a6 pistons have too small valve relieves in the pistons and they are under a different angle.You'll end up smashing your valves with the pistons.Do not use those in a D14a4/A3 .As i said many times before aftermarket D16y8 pistons are your best choice.
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

lumpenst

Post by lumpenst »

hondaNickx wrote:D16a6 pistons have too small valve relieves in the pistons and they are under a different angle.You'll end up smashing your valves with the pistons.Do not use those in a D14a4/A3 .As i said many times before aftermarket D16y8 pistons are your best choice.
i mean forged turbo pistons for d16a6 which reduce comp ratio with a bigger dish (-6.6 cc). I'm actually not %100 sure if that would allow them to fit. Also speaking of valve releives in the piston the vitara's dont line up with the honda valves. The exhaust relieves face the intake valves and vice versa. Don't think it's not that important as long as the piston doesn't hit the valves. I wonder if anyone tried these pistons with a cyl head similar to d14s

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

If you wanna go turbocharged you can use them yess but with a descent space between valves and piston.The best Aftermarket choice for turbo pistons are Wiseco's the skirts are coated standard.The best would be custom pistons offcourse.Bisimoto can make you custom pistons with coated skirts and domes/Dish and those would even give you 8% more Hp then off the shelf wiseco's or arias pistons...