NEW D14 project 150 bhp! non V-tec whahaha :D

General discussions on EJ9 and D14 improvements. How far can you reach?
hondaNickx

Re: NEW D14 project 150 bhp! non V-tec whahaha :D

Post by hondaNickx »

lakaiD14 wrote:
hondaNickx wrote:Great :) ,will you get any head flow numbers ?
Since they use CFD programs and such @ MCE they must have done a before and after head flow test ?I would like to compare it to my results of the ported head by Endyn.Also what cam are you going to use?

nope emile has not done a before head flow test but you can use the stock test results of a D14a3 Head,i will ask him if he has any data at all.....

so far i'm going to use the stock cam but otherwise i will go for the regrind with the bisimoto specs together with their sping set where u can use your stock retainers... (like to keep the project in budget)

I've got a before and after flow chart of my D14a4 head(which is the same as a D14a3 head.)I love to compare his flow results to mine he also measures CFM @ 28" of water right ?
I would highly suggest u use something different then a stock cam if you want to take advantage of your ported head.Or did you have the head ported for the stock cam ?

I'm using bisimoto springs with stock retainers on my level 2 regrinded D14a4 cam.No problems with using stock retainers ;)

My level 1 Regrinded d14a4 cam from bisimoto had 10 degrees more timing then stock on intake and exhaust and about 0.8mm more lift .

My level 2 regrinded d14a4 cam has more timing and lift .
Here's the stock timing and lift of a D14a4/D14a3 cam

Your cam was:
0.296" Intake lift, adv dur 224, at 0.040" 196
0.290 Exh lift, adv dur 226, at 0.040" 192
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

Nick do you have the level 2 cam installed? are you happy performance wise?

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

saxophonias wrote:Nick do you have the level 2 cam installed? are you happy performance wise?
Nope haven't installed that yet.Still need to buy rdx injectors and adaptors.And i need to upgrade my suspension bushings and brakes and transmission first.So the "power add on" or the ported head with cam and edelbrock intake will go on the car as last.When that get's installed and dyno tuned this forum will be the first were i 'll posting the results don't worry ;)
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

lakaiD14

Post by lakaiD14 »

hondaNickx wrote:
lakaiD14 wrote:
hondaNickx wrote:Great :) ,will you get any head flow numbers ?
Since they use CFD programs and such @ MCE they must have done a before and after head flow test ?I would like to compare it to my results of the ported head by Endyn.Also what cam are you going to use?

nope emile has not done a before head flow test but you can use the stock test results of a D14a3 Head,i will ask him if he has any data at all.....

so far i'm going to use the stock cam but otherwise i will go for the regrind with the bisimoto specs together with their sping set where u can use your stock retainers... (like to keep the project in budget)

I've got a before and after flow chart of my D14a4 head(which is the same as a D14a3 head.)I love to compare his flow results to mine he also measures CFM @ 28" of water right ?
I would highly suggest u use something different then a stock cam if you want to take advantage of your ported head.Or did you have the head ported for the stock cam ?

I'm using bisimoto springs with stock retainers on my level 2 regrinded D14a4 cam.No problems with using stock retainers ;)

My level 1 Regrinded d14a4 cam from bisimoto had 10 degrees more timing then stock on intake and exhaust and about 0.8mm more lift .

My level 2 regrinded d14a4 cam has more timing and lift .
Here's the stock timing and lift of a D14a4/D14a3 cam

Your cam was:
0.296" Intake lift, adv dur 224, at 0.040" 196
0.290 Exh lift, adv dur 226, at 0.040" 192
last week i was wondering wichvalve springs of bisimoto i should purchase and according to my workshopmanuel it should be the same as the D16y8 engine am i right?

springlength of intake and exhaust valvesprings of a D14 engine is 58,7 mm, the closest i could find were the spring lengths of the D16y8 58,0 mm on intake spring and 58.7 mm on exhaust spring......

wich kind did u buy, or you recommend me to buy? i just want the bisimoto springs because you don't have use titanium retainers....
"some have dreams, mine is reality :P"

lakaiD14

Post by lakaiD14 »

finally some pics :

this picture shows the rough cast marks on my blockgirdle:

this is the girdle when i was finished with it:

some pics of my pistons:

some pics of my engine:

if you look closer you can see all sharp edges chamfered.

and finally a picture of my ride:

and with "battle damage"

this was the last month i have driven my ca rbefore i took it in the workshop for major revision

mynameisowen

Post by mynameisowen »

Great looking car :)

Just to clarify are those the pistons that have a different coating on the head and skirts?

Also why did you think to chamfer the block face? Dont you think that will interfere with gasket fit and oil/coolant flow?
1996 EJ9 Civic
1998 BB8 Prelude Motegi VTi
1998, B16A2 EK4 Civic VTi

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.
BB8 - Rebuild after crash damage to front end.
EK4 - Daily driver. Strip and track prep once prelude project complete

SquirtAndSpark

Post by SquirtAndSpark »

nice work!

keep working on it :D

cheers

lakaiD14

Post by lakaiD14 »

mynameisowen wrote:Great looking car :)

Just to clarify are those the pistons that have a different coating on the head and skirts?

Also why did you think to chamfer the block face? Dont you think that will interfere with gasket fit and oil/coolant flow?

yes, the side of the piston is coated with a kind of dry lubricant coating, this wears of in a matter of time. Because the aluminum was blasted to made the surface rough, the coating will get caught in the pores and the remains of the coating will give my piston a permanent "dry lubricant" to reduce friction between piston and cilinder wall.

the coating op top is a ceramic coating which has a low heat transferring co- efficient, at least a way lesser than aluminium. in this way the expansion/heat of the combustion is trapped between parts of the engine cilinderwall with coolant behind it, coated piston and coated combustion chamber, yes the combustion chamber too and the pressure the piston is forced down with will rise.

about the chamfering of my deck, all i did was that i have taken of the sharp edges and the cast marks/faults (which were not many :P). i did not made a big flange, otherwise the head gasket will not function well because there is not enough surface for it. you should consider this step as a nice finishing touch of your engine, for proper fluid flows etc.....

lakaiD14

Post by lakaiD14 »

SquirtAndSpark wrote:nice work!

keep working on it :D

cheers
thnx :D

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin