NEW D14 project 150 bhp! non V-tec whahaha :D

General discussions on EJ9 and D14 improvements. How far can you reach?
lakaiD14

NEW D14 project 150 bhp! non V-tec whahaha :D

Post by lakaiD14 »

Finaly last week i have bought a pretty damn good engine a D14a4 engine. i have bought this engine with a specific reason: the engine i'm running now is using 3 litres oil a month. damn........................ that is pretty much...

i have checked the overall compression loss and it was a surpriding 5%!

but i will play it save and i'm going to rebuilt the entire bottom end.
i have a pretty good head (stock D14a3 but with the needed workd ;)), this head i will place on the new bottom end and complete with a brand new remap iwas planning to reach around 150 bhp.... i will keep this topic as my "log" complete with every step i'm planning to do. i will start to tell u the current stats of my engine.

at the last rolling meeting my engine reached 122 bhp and a torque of 148 Nm (almost the same as a stock B16 engine) with fried piston rings and a bad bad bad gearbox.

the current setup is:
- cold air intake.
- IM swap with "heat resistent gasket"
- obd1 swap complete with eCtune remap, throttlebody, 240cc injectors and ignition
- head ported, gasketmached, valve regrind, compression 10:1 and adjestable camgear (skunk2 pro)
- megan racing header and cherrybomb as cat replacement.

the first step of my project is to coate my pistons with 2 different coatings. on the top surface of the piston i wil apply an Ceramic coating and at the skirt of the piston i wil apply and slef lubricating carbon coating to reduce friction. then my piston, rods and cracnkshaft wil be ballanced ant the flywheel will be replaced wih a lighter one by fidanza. togehter wil new bearings, gaskets, pistonrings e.d. i will become a nice D14 engine....

pics and progress coming soon!
"some have dreams, mine is reality :P"

hondaNickx

Re: NEW D14 project 150 bhp! non V-tec whahaha :D

Post by hondaNickx »

Great always nice to see new projects coming up!
A engine with only 5% loss is a realllyy really good engine,almost a shame rebuilding it!

Putting in PM6 pistons from a D16a6 makes it a little easier reaching that 10:1 compressie .It doesn't require to mill the head as much.
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

lakaiD14

Post by lakaiD14 »

my current head is al ready milled so i have one spare, the one coming of this "new" engine.

iff u guys have any tips or great ideas i will concider to try them :P

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

The only tips i can give on the head porting is not 'over doing' it.
Don't enlarge the ports to their max size just keep it simple.
The most gains on a D-series head are gotten from a 3 angle or 5 angle valve job on the valve seats ,porting the short turn radius and the bowl area.Aftermarket valves also have a valve stem undercut which also helps in for more flow.I would port match (with a little anti reversion step) the intake ports with the oem gasket and also do that to your intake manifold.£
This is only done about 1inch inside the ports ,the rest of it should be left stock .Check The Endyn website for a nice guide on how to do these things. ;)
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

lakaiD14

Post by lakaiD14 »

my head is all ready ported and gasketmached all i have to do in the IM, the valve's are regrinded with another angle, but not a 3/5 angle valvejob and the exhaust valves are grinded with a "v" shaped profile( it has a name but i dont remeber right now), that is for preventing exhaust gasses are sucked back into the cilinder

the porting/flowwing is not overdone and the intakeports are certain NOT polished, otherwise to the exhaust ports....

lakaiD14

Post by lakaiD14 »

i have visited the endyn website and indeed there are some helpfull articles, i allready decided that i'm going to blueprint my bottom end.

within a few weeks the first pictures will be posted :P

lakaiD14

Post by lakaiD14 »

i have taken apart the bottom end and suprisingly the engine was in "brand new shape, the only thing that was worn out were the bearings for the axial movement of the crank.

the mods we have in mind are:

- blocknotching (see endyn website)
- some adjustment to the oilpump to increase and optimise the flow
- trow away the breatherchamber for carter ventilation and make a catchtank so u dont have the nasty oily air to your intake

for the rest:
- balance the crank (not to bore some holes, but to radius of the counterweights at the right spots
- balance the rods
- coating the pistons
- lightweight flywheel with stage 1 clutch

this seems to be the final setup for the bottom end
next post i wil show some pictures

mynameisowen

Post by mynameisowen »

Awesome news man, how are you going to achieve the 10:1 CR? Also any reason why your not going for VTEC. Maybe you could increase CR a wee bit further since your going to all this trouble ;)
1996 EJ9 Civic
1998 BB8 Prelude Motegi VTi
1998, B16A2 EK4 Civic VTi

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.
BB8 - Rebuild after crash damage to front end.
EK4 - Daily driver. Strip and track prep once prelude project complete

lakaiD14

Post by lakaiD14 »

if my recent engine was in good shape, including piston rings the CR should be 10:1, at least that was calculated iff we grind the head 0,75mm down.

why i don't want any vtec, the reason is simple..... i have build a great head and even with a worn bottom end it still reaches 122 BHP!!!, now i want to know the max performance of this simple builded head and i must rebuilt or swap my engine anyway...

lakaiD14

Post by lakaiD14 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag2bICMDjUc

this was filmed by i dont know who.... but this sprint was with worn engine :P LOL

and not only ford KA i was winning from, can u inmagine wath this new engine does with a proper tuned eCtune mapping...

whaha