NEW D14 project 150 bhp! non V-tec whahaha :D

General discussions on EJ9 and D14 improvements. How far can you reach?
lakaiD14

Re: NEW D14 project 150 bhp! non V-tec whahaha :D

Post by lakaiD14 »

i am sorry people......................... :P

i am away from work, i am in germany on the moment but i can tell you a little bit, i have changed my IM for a skunk2 pro series IM and it is working great. my milled IM was the bottleneck of my engine build.

2 saturdays ago i have remapped the engine and is was running rich over the entire rpm range. i noticed that i reached a little more torque over the entire powerband because it is accelrating harder the entire way and i even think i passed the 140bhp mark because in third, fouth and fifth gear in the higher rpm range that my car is pulling harder then before, within a few months i go to joris and the dyno to find out what power i gained.

the tuner who had tuned my car told me that my engine was one of the first that he really noticed powergains between stock and aftermarket intake manifolds.

but i will upload the dynograph from my previous dyno run as soon as i get back in the netherlands.
"some have dreams, mine is reality :P"

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

So did you used a stock tb ? Or stil the gigantic 66mm tb?
Try the stock TB it's better then the bigger one on a skunk2 manifold!
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

lakaiD14

Post by lakaiD14 »

hondaNickx wrote:So did you used a stock tb ? Or stil the gigantic 66mm tb?
Try the stock TB it's better then the bigger one on a skunk2 manifold!

i am still using the 66mm, but my tuner had tuned my car with my ported D16 IM (with 66mm TB) and after (skunk2 IM and 66 TB) andhe was stunned by the results he had never felt this difference on a D-series engine when changing te stock IM for an aftermarket one, because the first thing he said to me when i drove the car in his garage ---> don't be disapointed when we are finished.

i can change TB for a stock one but you to take in comparison my head is ported and i have a stage 2 cam (bisimoto). so in the same period much more air/fuel mixture is going inside the combustion chamber, because of the ported head i have a higher cfm and my valves stay open longer and wider.

that is my filosofie but i agree that a smalle TB could work because of the D14 small displacement, and you like to keep your airflow higher.

you have mounted a stock TB to an aftermarket IM? so yes was there any difference compared to a bigger TB? or do you know someone who had done it this way?
"some have dreams, mine is reality :P"

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

I've told this many times before ,and i kind of want to say " WAKE UP!".
There are B20 engines that are running 64mm tb and are spinning 9000rpm and making close to 300hp.You're never going to outflow your stock 55mm tb .
A couple of years back i tested a ported Blox intake manifold with a stock Tb and that flowed 260CFM on all 4 runners.You would be VERY Very lucky if your FULLY ported head would flow around 220-240CFM (with stock sized valves) at your max valve intake lift.Most Fully ported D16z6 heads flow around 240CFM at 0.050" of valve lift.That's waay more lift then a Bisi stage 2.Which has around 0.35" max of valve lift.Your intake manifold volume is too big anyway for a 1.4L engine ,so that's why a smaller tb would work better .
Too keep the pressure inside the manifold.A 60mm TB from a B16a2 engine for example that would still be ok , but 66mm it too large.

The reason your tuner noticed a big difference is because your previous manifold /Tb setup was horrible.
I'm sorry to say it like that but it really was the worst you could do.Making a step AGAINST flow should never be done even if it is a taper.You should make a trap to capture the air inside the intake manifold.That's why i say to use a Stock tb on a bigger intake manifold opening.So you have a Anti Revernsion step .
Go around and ask anyone at OneCamOnly or D-series.org if you should use a 66mm tb on a 1.4L engine.They all would say you're crazy.

Anyway if you have a chance to test the stock Tb , do it.Even if it is untuned you could instantly see the difference on the A/F values and in some cases even the Map sensor shows ever so lightly signs of boost.(pressure build up)
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

mynameisowen

Post by mynameisowen »

Dyno aswell please!

An engine can only flow so much for a given power output. You want the right diameter TB for the flow rate you need, any bigger and your flow velocity will drop.

You can work this out reasonably easily.

By all means prove what is best by doing a back to back comparison.
1996 EJ9 Civic
1998 BB8 Prelude Motegi VTi
1998, B16A2 EK4 Civic VTi

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.
BB8 - Rebuild after crash damage to front end.
EK4 - Daily driver. Strip and track prep once prelude project complete

Law_

Post by Law_ »

i've read the whole post today :D News already? What are the figures? Is the engine running good? BR