NEW D14 project 150 bhp! non V-tec whahaha :D

General discussions on EJ9 and D14 improvements. How far can you reach?
pardizzle21

Re: NEW D14 project 150 bhp! non V-tec whahaha :D

Post by pardizzle21 »

Hello lakai,
hows the project going? got it fired up yet?would love to see it in action!!! :D

Pardizzle

lakaiD14

Post by lakaiD14 »

i am very sorry..... i was very busy the last few months, my car is running well and we have street tuned the car with neptune so i can drive it around :D. at the end of this month i am going to the dyno to tune the car.

we have set the rev limiter to 8000 rpm and i can play with variable launch control, my cam gear is set on zero degrees. we are going to play with that on the dyno, i really cannot tell if i have to advance or retard the cam because my entire engine characteristics are different compared to a stock D14.

i had divided the engine project in several sections so i could work on different parts of the engine, the main sections were:

-intake manifold (skunk2 tells their alpha series TB is "plug and play"... trust me it is really not and i have the solution:D)

when i first fitted the 66 mm TB i discovered that the main hole in the intake manifold was smaller i believe 57mm and i discovered the biggest problem: on the gasket surface, the little plain between the big bore and the tiny whole that leads to the IACV, is to small for the gasket supplied with the skunk2 TB. And the gasket and the surfaces of the IM and TB would not align. the IACV will suck false air in this area. this is were i come in handy as an engineer and capacity of CNC milling whaha.
i figured out that i could solve the problem with re positioning this area of the gasket surface and while i decided that i seriously rework the manifold i planned to mill the big bore a little bigger to retain maximum use of the plenum that is acualy bigger in diameter than the hole of 57mm is. i have milled this up to 63 mm and tapered the hole to the outside (gasket surface), i have tapered the hole to 66 mm. the second part i made was a banana shape piece of alluminum to place as my re positioned surface, i have milled this 0,02 mm smaller then the chamber were i wanted my new surface and glued this into place with loc-tite 638 (the green strong kind) on the bottom side i put some sealer (the blue silicone kind) . with a little grinder i have flowed the sharp area's and radiused sharp edges to retain optimum flow.
the second i did was to plug the hole for carter ventilation because i wanted a separated oil canister, i dont want the oily air back into my engine. i designed a plug and play piece to replace the breather chamber and one way valve with a simple hose that goes directly to an oil canister with a breather filter on top, the valve cover ventilation goes to that canister as well.

- the cilinderhead:
i have milled of 0,80 mm to reach a higher compression ratio, i believe it is around 1:10,3 but i still have to measure.
the combustion chambers are ceramic coated to prevent my engine from detonation damage and keep a little bit more heat in the chamber while combustion, bottom side of valves are coated too. intake and exhaust ports gasket matched a flowed. the combustion chambers are CC'ed as well. my camshaft choice was a bisimoto level 2 custom regrind and bisimoto valve springs to retain my old washers ( dont need titanium retainers that cost way toooooooo much if you will keep in mind the huge forces that will be released from the D14 engine. the cam is driven by a skunk2 pro series cam gear.
between the intake manifold and the cilinderhead i used a PW JDM heat shield gsket.
i gasket matched the ports of the intake manifold as well.

- the bottomend:
i blueprinted the entire bottom end and cleand up the internals by removing castingmarks and sharp edges because they are the beginning of weak spots. the crankshaft is balanced together with the fidanza flywheel. i kept the stock rods and balanced them as well. my main bearings are clevite77 bearings and my rod bearings are stock honda because there is not a manufacturer that makes rod bearings the size of a D14 engine it seems our crank is made of an D13 model i i believed the specs chart of clevite bearings want to order them but the company did not make the any more. the pistons are coated ceramic and the skirts are coated with carbon for a dry film lubrication. when there is little oil ond the cilinderwalls the coating is providing a lubricating surface.

as exhaust i am using a skunk 2 mega power exhaust of 60mm and an megan racing header
"some have dreams, mine is reality :P"

mynameisowen

Post by mynameisowen »

wow! Looks like you've done a great job here Lakai, you should be proud! Did you end up getting it tuned in the dyno? Would like to see some results :ugeek:
1996 EJ9 Civic
1998 BB8 Prelude Motegi VTi
1998, B16A2 EK4 Civic VTi

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.
BB8 - Rebuild after crash damage to front end.
EK4 - Daily driver. Strip and track prep once prelude project complete

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

This is going to be a mighty monster! :D

lakaiD14

Post by lakaiD14 »

saxophonias wrote:This is going to be a mighty monster! :D
haha going to be...... it already is!!!

mynameisowen

Post by mynameisowen »

RESULTS!
1996 EJ9 Civic
1998 BB8 Prelude Motegi VTi
1998, B16A2 EK4 Civic VTi

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.
BB8 - Rebuild after crash damage to front end.
EK4 - Daily driver. Strip and track prep once prelude project complete

pardizzle21

Post by pardizzle21 »

Looks absolutely swet man!!
Would love to see this in action, so do you think you will/have cracked the 150bhp mark then??

again, a sweet build!
pardizzle

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

Did you send your stock cam for regrind to bisi?

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Hey Bart, how is the car now? Do you still need a dyno session? For HF we are going to do the dyno workshop 9 march.

lakaiD14

Post by lakaiD14 »

Dodo Bizar wrote:Hey Bart, how is the car now? Do you still need a dyno session? For HF we are going to do the dyno workshop 9 march.

yes i want to roll again on jaap's dyno to refer to my last session , at DP engineering i scored less hp and torque compared to my worn engine wit no compression at all

on DP's dyno i rolled 110 hp at the axles and 137 Nm of torque and with my worn engine at speedcentre i rolled 122 hp and 147 Nm of torque

but i thought speedcentre graph was enginepower and DP's was axle power but i dont know for sure....

maybe jaap has any ideas, but count me in