Project D16Z6 into EJ9

General discussions on EJ9 and D14 improvements. How far can you reach?
baz

Project D16Z6 into EJ9

Post by baz »

Randy has got himself a D16Z6 to swap in his EJ9. And i'm going to help him with it.

Will this swap work with these parts?

Engine: D16Z6
ECU: P28

Engineloom: D16Y8

Conversion harness OBD2 to OBD1
Distributor adapter OBD1 to OBD2 10-pin Distributor Adapter

Please comment :)
D14A3-OBD1-I/H/E
126 hp /145 Nm

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Re: Project D16Z6 into EJ9

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Right now I am doing something opposite... putting a D14A4 into an EJ2 (coupe from 95). Well but you know Bas, I think.

Ehm I think it sounds pretty much ok. Engine should fit in D14 mounts (they are different from ESi mounts). Throttle cable from D16Z6 is advised... D14 will work but may need some custom bracketing. Thats all I can think about now.

baz

Post by baz »

Dodo Bizar wrote:Right now I am doing something opposite... putting a D14A4 into an EJ2 (coupe from 95). Well but you know Bas, I think.

Ehm I think it sounds pretty much ok. Engine should fit in D14 mounts (they are different from ESi mounts). Throttle cable from D16Z6 is advised... D14 will work but may need some custom bracketing. Thats all I can think about now.
Thnx for the comments, and yes i'm aware of your D14A4 to EJ2 project ;) So this will work, i thought so but i've never done it so cross checking my sources is better. I think the throttle cable is present otherswise we shall get one. On the other hand, custum bracketing is not a problem.
8-)
D14A3-OBD1-I/H/E
126 hp /145 Nm

Ran-DiZzle

Post by Ran-DiZzle »

i allready have a z6 im on my d14. including the throttle cable.

and i allso found out what we need for the swap:

d14 enginemounts fit on the d16z6

need a:
ek3(vtec-e) electric conversion(obd2) and a conversion harness obd2 to obd1(p&p on ej9)

all the other stuff is allready in my possesion.

thnx anyway.

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Yup I can confirm the blocks have the same mounting positions. Though the mounts are different from 5th gen to 6th gen Civic. Means you have to keep the mounts that go with the chassis.

But front mounts (or actually 'stoppers') are identical in shape, though 6th gen left stopper is aluminium instead of steal, means weight reduction.

I actually was able to mount the ESi exhaust manifold on all factory points on the D14... really suprised me. Then power steering is an issue. You can't interchange 5th gen and 6th gen pumps since the top nipple is different, but luckely, even the ps brackets can be changed from block to block. So I got a D15B7 PS pump and bracket now mounted on D14 without a problem.

Ran-DiZzle

Post by Ran-DiZzle »

Dodo Bizar wrote:Yup I can confirm the blocks have the same mounting positions. Though the mounts are different from 5th gen to 6th gen Civic. Means you have to keep the mounts that go with the chassis.

But front mounts (or actually 'stoppers') are identical in shape, though 6th gen left stopper is aluminium instead of steal, means weight reduction.

I actually was able to mount the ESi exhaust manifold on all factory points on the D14... really suprised me. Then power steering is an issue. You can't interchange 5th gen and 6th gen pumps since the top nipple is different, but luckely, even the ps brackets can be changed from block to block. So I got a D15B7 PS pump and bracket now mounted on D14 without a problem.
yes, i was planning to use the oem d14 mounts on the d16, and about the ps pump. i want to use the oem d14 pump with the d16 bracket. last week i looked for the differences, but they seem alike. well see when we swap the whole bunch. and if i have to change it... no prob, got the oem d16 pump with the oilline aswell.

thnx

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

Correct me if i'm wrong but the D14 drivers side mount is different then the ESI drivers side mount right ?That aluminium mount is mounted different ...?
A friend of mine needed to swap that mount when he was swapping his Z6 into his EJ9.Apart from that everything should work ,you also need to swap the IAT or use the iat from the Y8 loom which is in the intake tube and block off the iat in the manifold from the Z6.Or visa versa..
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

As I tried to say earlier, all three mounts are different, drivers side, tranny side and aft. But that is due to the chassis and subframe being different. Therefore keep the mounts that fit the chassis. And yes they are completely different.

The drivers side stopper is different, but my D15B7 and D14A4 left front stopper had the same main dimensions, right front stoppers were identical.