A d14 vtec

General discussions on EJ9 and D14 improvements. How far can you reach?
mynameisowen

Re: A d14 vtec

Post by mynameisowen »

VTEC is great because it allows us to transform our mild road cars to fun hot hatches just by pushing the accelerator. It's very hard (I'd argue impossible) to get a high performance yet manageable (fuel economy, driveability, low emisssions, etc.) engine without using some kind of variable valve system. Honda has VTEC, other manufacturers have other methods. VTEC is famous for its useage in the Type R variants of the road cars where the famous "kick" is felt, not because these cars need VTEC to go fast, but because they need VTEC to go fast and be a decent road car. In an all out race machine there is no reason to use variable valve timing since you will only be driving in the high rev (high power) region, all other regions of the powerband are not used (if you have a good driver).

But if you want a fast car that can rinse round a track but still drive home VTEC is great.

I love how D14 mini-me is now called "dodo mods"

All hail Joris!
1996 EJ9 Civic
1998 BB8 Prelude Motegi VTi
1998, B16A2 EK4 Civic VTi

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.
BB8 - Rebuild after crash damage to front end.
EK4 - Daily driver. Strip and track prep once prelude project complete

Beef

Post by Beef »

mynameisowen wrote: I love how D14 mini-me is now called "dodo mods"

All hail Joris!
Yea i didn't quite know what to put lol 'dodo' or mini-me. Same thing, just would be using the guides on this site to say dodo.

To be honest, i have never experienced vtec in any engine :shock: I'm 23 and owned 14 cars and this is my first Honda lol I know how the technology works, just never experienced it.

So when it comes to it, my D14, once it has a vtec head, will be my first ever vtec :D

Lmao I'm talking about vtec like it's sex!
Slammed D14Z2 EJ9 on steelies

To do: cheap coilys [done], rear lower control arms and brace, Superlow's, stickerbombing, exhaust and intake mani, ODB 1, vtec head

hondamake

Post by hondamake »

A couple of years ago I read that Honda had never had a warranty claim on a vtec system, knowing Honda's engineering, materials and technology I find that entirely credible.
Fast, reliable, cheap. Pick any two - because you won't get all three!

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Mini-me is actually the term for a D15B2 or D15B7 with D16Z6/Z9/Y8 head.

It was done many times way before I entered the stage with my D14 VTEC.
I actually opted to call it 'city-me', being a mix up between my cars subtype ('city') and the mini-me terms.
Unfortunately, not every country knows the 'city' which only applies for the restricted EJ9 hatchback with power steering.

And therefore it is actually a crappy name, did I know so many foreigners from way beyond the Netherlands would read my works one day :).

So well... 'dodo mods' really sounds good to me, nails down my name in history.

Btw, did anyone check out the wikipedia list on Honda engine types lately? More and more info is being put up there with some records highly likely being nicked from here.

@Owen... I got so caught up in self-swallowing here that I completely forgot your comment. I think for non-VTEC cars it means cams will only produce power up to 7000 rpm with perhaps still something left nearing 7500 and then shutting down.

mynameisowen

Post by mynameisowen »

@ Beef; I've never driven a car with VTEC but I have been driven in them, most notably a Jap import Del Sol with a B16 which was really fun, could definitely feel it even with 3 people in the car (even though it only seats 2 =P)
1996 EJ9 Civic
1998 BB8 Prelude Motegi VTi
1998, B16A2 EK4 Civic VTi

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.
BB8 - Rebuild after crash damage to front end.
EK4 - Daily driver. Strip and track prep once prelude project complete

Beef

Post by Beef »

@Dodo cool bit of history :)

@owen haha one on the arm rest??

So after IM, vtec head and management, a D14 would be pretty damn quick for what it is right?

Just finding it hard to find the parts.. may end up buying a whole D16Z6/Y8 engine..

I'll be alright mechanically but it's the management I'll struggle with so when I come to it, I'll be starting a thread ;) haha
Slammed D14Z2 EJ9 on steelies

To do: cheap coilys [done], rear lower control arms and brace, Superlow's, stickerbombing, exhaust and intake mani, ODB 1, vtec head

mr kawa

Post by mr kawa »

To kind of using thoa topic..i just want to be 100% sure.
If i would place a d16z6 head 9n a d14 engine. Do you need a d16 distribution belt or a d14 belt?

mr kawa

Post by mr kawa »

No body can help me out?
Do i need the 14 belt or the d16z6?

BETEK

Post by BETEK »

D14 belt you must use
For putting d16z6 belt you need to put taller block like all D16s

mr kawa