A d14 vtec

General discussions on EJ9 and D14 improvements. How far can you reach?
Beef

A d14 vtec

Post by Beef »

If you were to put a y8/z6 vtec head on a d14 along with IM and ecu etc. Would you get some kind of vtec kick? Was talking about it the other day and thought I'd ask on here :)

Let me know, Thanks
Slammed D14Z2 EJ9 on steelies

To do: cheap coilys [done], rear lower control arms and brace, Superlow's, stickerbombing, exhaust and intake mani, ODB 1, vtec head

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Re: A d14 vtec

Post by Dodo Bizar »

You can always get the VTEC kick. It means the engine is not tuned for max performance. Even though, with a SOHC VTEC the kick, if any, should be small. You should only hear it, not actually feel the kick. If you do actually feel a sudden burst of acceleration around the VTEC switching point (which is the actual kick) it just means your VTEC comes on too late and should have been activated at a bit lower rpm. It is simply a switch between two engine characteristics and for max performance you'd like this to be right at the point where one characteristic performs equal to the other (or non-VTEC performs equal to VTEC).

But there is a but... with the really high performance cams on the B-serie type-R engines the kick might persist, though in a slightly milder variation. Since there is no smooth engine characteristic. The high performance cams tend to produce torque all of a sudden and it is really hard to flatten this behavior. This should never occur on the SOHC cams since cam lobe profiles have to be more of a compromise since only inlet has VTEC and exhaust not on the SOHC's.

hondamake

Post by hondamake »

That answers so many questions about vtec, popular opinion shouts VTEC but wiser heads ask why? It must surely be simpler/easier/cheaper to install a fast road cam than go for a mini-me. :geek:
Fast, reliable, cheap. Pick any two - because you won't get all three!

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

but the non vtec cam has to be really well in order to perform the same and combine both driveability and low consumption with max performance.

Beef

Post by Beef »

Yea the crossover on the twin cam b series is really obvious, so just wondered is the sohc d series had anything similar on crossover.

Mainly talking about the like of a D14 with a vtec head, just curious :D

To do: cheap coilys [done], rear lower control arms and brace, Superlow's, stickerbombing, exhaust and intake mani, ODB 1, vtec head

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

I once said 'who needs VTEC' after I had beaten a CRX DOHC on the track with my still non-VTEC D14... but in hindsight you can not have the wide power band without VTEC which I got nowadays. Power in the low revs means good fuel economy and power in the high revs means... well POWER. Now if I would take my B16B and NOT enable the non-VTEC lobes... I would not even be able to idle anywhere close to 1500 rpm. Probably 2000 - 3000 rpms would be needed while spitting fuel and rambling like a maniac.

hondamake

Post by hondamake »

Quote from Dodo "while spitting fuel and rambling like a maniac". He's obviously seen me drinking vodka. :lol: So vtec is the answer to driveability v outright performance. Obviously for a daily driver this makes sense but for fast road/track is a reprofiled cam a better option :?:
Fast, reliable, cheap. Pick any two - because you won't get all three!

Beef

Post by Beef »

hondamake wrote:Quote from Dodo "while spitting fuel and rambling like a maniac. He's obviously seen me drinking vodka.":
I second that haha

Was talking about it the other day whether it's worth keeping my D14Z2 and start with 'dodo' mods and what it would be like once all done.

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

:mrgreen:
hondamake wrote:Obviously for a daily driver this makes sense but for fast road/track is a reprofiled cam a better option :?:
In the past one might have doubted the reliability of the VTEC system. But since it's introduction it seems to be a miraculously stable system. So, apart from a few grams of weight there is no clear disadvantage known to me why you should have a track car without this. Even on the track you can tune it theoretically in such a way to get two half overlapping powerbands with the VTEC switch point high in revs so you pass it each gear. But I never came across such a setup actually. VTEC killer cams do exist though... so cams without the non-VTEC lobes or just all equal lobes in that case. But if that gives any advantage... I doubt it.

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

Ok but what happens to a mild set up in both cases? (non vtec and vtec?) Espeiacially if we have a good non vtec cam like bisimoto's