How high can it revved stock?

General discussions on EJ9 and D14 improvements. How far can you reach?
hrc66

How high can it revved stock?

Post by hrc66 »

Oke I have a d14a3 infront of me and before I start to spent money I wanna know what's it cappable of. My goal is to leave the tranny gears as they are so I can stay more time in one gear. I know this engine is producing some hp after redline I was thinking to set the redline to 7800rpm to when I shift it whould drop to about 6k rpm where I plan to make the torque to stay and so I can move the broad rpm range I use in more high HP range. So I came with the worry about the engine not to knock/brake after some time in this rpm range as now my money is going to be spent to other engine's parts not rods etc..
Sorry if my language is a bit bed.
Greetings from Croatia HFC-Honda fan club member :)

saxophonias

Re: How high can it revved stock?

Post by saxophonias »

If you rev so high the revs will drop higher in every gear change but the gears will be way too long which will make your car slow. Revving high with the d14 is something easy and maybe without worries but in order to be effective you need to produce power that high, otherwise it will be a waste.
Have a look at the gearbox topics ;)

hrc66

Post by hrc66 »

Know that m8 :). I love my tranny as it is because when I go in turns my hands are more time free to stay on steering wheel hh. Hm....I whould really need some dyno of d14 so i can see the curve to 8k rpm. I bet this engine has some bit more power at 7800rpm then in 5k rpm that it drops for now. Lets say the engine was the pick HP at 6800rpm (some tuning) if the engine produces the same amount of HP like 6-7k rpm in 7-7,8k rpm then the drop from 7,8k to 6,5k rpm is ideal for stay in range of max hp. Not like now that it drops me in 5k rpm. I know my tranny is long and I wanna keep it this way. :)

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

Have a look at the dynos section of the forum! The design of the engine and the r/s ratio are some indicatives that it can rev high, but it always comes to the selection of the right cam too.

mental

Post by mental »

Since valvesprings might be the first things to give up at high rpm I would set the limit to 7700 rpm. Bisimoto said this is a limit they will handle. It's not a big gain but you still have 500 rpm more to play with.
hondaNickx wrote:D14 uses Y-series springs , i allready got my oem D14 springs and retainers tested when i first shipped in my D14 cam for level 1 regrind back then .Bisi has tested them and said Y series springs are the same and from experience he could tell me that the stock springs could handle 7700rpm .
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=35&start=110#p8307

Correct me if I'm wrong.

hrc66

Post by hrc66 »

true definitely need some head work and maybe some bit more engine cooling so it doesn't over heat in longer runs.

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

I think 7600/7700 is the max you should do on stock valves etc.

I run 8100 on Skunk valves/retainers/cam. With lighter pistons/stronger rods I would like to get 9k though I am not convinced that I get it flowing at these rpms. Need high rev cam specs for that and that is not easy on cams with only VTEC on the inlet... B-series have the advantage of exhaust VTEC cam-lobes to make it more practical.