Sebastix D14Z1 dyno history

D14 Dynoplots
saxophonias

Re: Sebastix D14Z1 dyno history

Post by saxophonias »

wow, and this engine lasts for so many years! What kind of use/abuse has it received the last years?

Sebastix

Post by Sebastix »

saxophonias wrote:wow, and this engine lasts for so many years! What kind of use/abuse has it received the last years?
Track / Time Attack!

SquirtAndSpark

Post by SquirtAndSpark »

nice curves :D

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Nice engine man, it pulls excellent. No plans on increasing engine rpm to get more hp? I do 8100 rpm on stock bottom, Skunk2 springs/retainers (and cam).

mynameisowen

Post by mynameisowen »

Great results man! As Joris said it looks like it might carry on making power have you not increase the RPM for reliability reasons?
1996 EJ9 Civic
1998 BB8 Prelude Motegi VTi
1998, B16A2 EK4 Civic VTi

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.
BB8 - Rebuild after crash damage to front end.
EK4 - Daily driver. Strip and track prep once prelude project complete

Sebastix

Post by Sebastix »

@ Joris, was is still making more hp's after 7000rpm?
mynameisowen wrote:Great results man! As Joris said it looks like it might carry on making power have you not increase the RPM for reliability reasons?
Well...more boost = more temperature

On the dyno, the engine had headlift and was leaking coolant... For me that's a mark to go not further. But last weekend I changed my engine coolant for Evans waterless coolant with a boiling point of 180 degrees celcius. Yesterday I had my third Time Attack round, with the new engine coolant the headlift was gone :) And the D14 is still going strong! My engine coolant temperature had a peak of 108 degrees yesterday on track after 3-4 rounds. But due the new coolant, there is almist no pressure in the system :) Around the 4psi.

Demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDKqjOcJujQ

I also changed the gapping of my spark plugs of 1.1mm to 0.8mm because the engine was misfiring after 6000rpm's.

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

So do you recommend this coolant to the regular one of honda? Did you use honda fluid prior to that?

mynameisowen

Post by mynameisowen »

I'm glad you've seen positive results.

What makes you think you have headlift? Is coolant burning or mixing with oil?

If the head is actually lifting then the only thing I can think of to cure it would be to increase head bolt tightening torque. Do you use aftermarket bolts?
1996 EJ9 Civic
1998 BB8 Prelude Motegi VTi
1998, B16A2 EK4 Civic VTi

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.
BB8 - Rebuild after crash damage to front end.
EK4 - Daily driver. Strip and track prep once prelude project complete

Sebastix

Post by Sebastix »

saxophonias wrote:So do you recommend this coolant to the regular one of honda? Did you use honda fluid prior to that?
For preventing boiling coolant yes. And it also drops down the pressure in your coolant system to around 4psi.
What makes you think you have headlift? Is coolant burning or mixing with oil?[]/quote]

Headlift because the heating in the system. With high coolant temperature, the pressure in your coolant system of your engine increases.
No mixing with oil. I just had some coolant water drooling outside the block under the intake.
If the head is actually lifting then the only thing I can think of to cure it would be to increase head bolt tightening torque. Do you use aftermarket bolts?
No bolts are stock set at 80Nm (normally 69Nm). The way to prevent headlift is indeed using some aftermarket studs like ARP's.

novaksaotome

Post by novaksaotome »

mynameisowen wrote:I'm glad you've seen positive results.

Increasing torque to the bolts isn't a good thing to do specially to stock bolts. There might be ARP's for our d14's i guess. b ut even with ARPs' tightening torque should be respected. Head lifting occurs with tons of pressure, Sebastix, youre running like .7 bars right?