Sebastix D14Z1 dyno history

D14 Dynoplots
Sebastix

Re: Sebastix D14Z1 dyno history

Post by Sebastix »

novaksaotome wrote:
mynameisowen wrote:I'm glad you've seen positive results.

If the head is actually lifting then the only thing I can think of to cure it would be to increase head bolt tightening torque. Do you use aftermarket bolts?
Increasing torque to the bolts isn't a good thing to do specially to stock bolts. There might be ARP's for our d14's i guess. b ut even with ARPs' tightening torque should be respected. Head lifting occurs with tons of pressure, Sebastix, youre running like .7 bars right?
We increased the torque of stock bolts to 80Nm.
I'm running at 10 psi / 0.68 bar boost indeed :)

The headlift I had, is now gone with the new waterless coolant which makes only 4psi of pressure in the coolant system at any temperature (it has a boiling point of 180celcius).

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

how could you exactly verify the head lift?

Sebastix

Post by Sebastix »

saxophonias wrote:how could you exactly verify the head lift?
Well...there was quite some coolant leaking between the head and block at the intake side after the tune at 10 psi. Before it was already leaking some coolant at 6 psi :) And now it's gone. I can't imagine it was something beside headlift (I did not any other modification to the engine).

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Clear story Sebastix, you're right that enough is enough, the temperature issue is one not to be taken to lightly.

About headlift, I even had it once with my stock block B16B... which now is less stock. I actually forced it myself by going on full throttle to early, just after 5 min. driving. I thought I was safe since the car had run a couple of hours before and was still warm. But warm is not hot. I just had one period of about 5 seconds that the smoke from the tailpipe was a thick white fog. After that it never occurred again, but I was still so scared that I measured the block, the head, checked old gasket, replaced with a new one and put ARP studs. Could not find evidence of leakage anywehre, but still it must have been a headlift. I really recommend the ARPs since they simply have a finer pitch which with the same torque, makes the force a lot higher. But is there a set that might fit?

Enough about me rambling about my car, I love the story of your car Sebas, amazing engine and I hope it will stay in one piece for years to come. But it's already an extreme good performer.