Dutch dyno-meet/workshop.

D14 Dynoplots
Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Re: Dutch dyno-meet/workshop.

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Okay, yesterday the second edition of the HF dyno workshop was done. I want to give a summary. I think one project should get special attention here.

First our Baz was the first to start. He gained the least during all runs, but that was since he started out very good. First run was 122 bhp from his D14 with Z6 IM, WAI and good exhaust. Due to the Z6 FPR it ran very rich, but still 122 bhp is very good. Since he got a stock ECU we could only fiddle around with the ignition timing, retarding and advincing both only resulted in a loss of power. So back to the original setting and out with a (record for un-altered ECU) NA D14 I pressume. Another incredible 32 or 47 above stock!

The important car was a D16.... I think A6, or Z2, confused. With D15B7 IM, WAI and nice exhaust. It was tuned on street to a mere 115 bhp, but it lost power fast after 5000 rpm. The owner was told the needed D16Z6 IM to counter the loss. But I and CRX2 had different thoughts, so without order, but driven by our own ego's we started tuning the OBD1(!) ECU. To be honest, it was difficult to find a good starting point, but once found we got more power out of it in the entire rpm range, but peak power we got the most... 126 bhp! Often, street tuned cars can perform good, but on a dyno always bhp are found and in this case 11 more were found. To make things worse for the owner, the dyno + eCtune were cheaper than the initial street tune... so 15 above stock.

We had a 3rd D-serie I suddenly realize, a stock D16Z6 with I/H/E. Stock ECU ran very very lean. Tuned the ECU and got about 144 bhp out of it, 19 above stock!

Furthermore we had the usual lot of B-serie engines. This time all 1.8 litre. My sponsor (Honderdelen.nl) went home with an incredible 223 bhp from a '96 spec ITR, he had the engine from a track car and suspects the cams are not stock, explaining the enormous amount of power, 26 above stock. Another 1.8 ('98) spec only got 209 bhp, during tuning we saw it was lacking manifold pressure and the exhaust (an RMF-copy) is believed to hamper its performance, only 9 above stock.

A B18C4, without working IAB was pushed incredibly high. With only I/H/E he got 199 bhp, which is 32 above stock! MJarvellous.

Last car we had (total of 7) was an Accord Type-R. On the dyno we found the AFR curve of those is terrible even when bone stock. The owner had some weird sounds sometimes. We found out ignition needed maximum retardation, he's car had been detonating all the time! Probably his exhaust cam lies one tooth wrong causing the weird ignition timing. Despite all the weirdness he got 224 bhp, started from 207. An increase of 17 bhp!

mynameisowen

Post by mynameisowen »

It;s freat to see how much a tune can bring out of even stock cars :D
Glad tohear you got some extra power Baz :D
1996 EJ9 Civic
1998 BB8 Prelude Motegi VTi
1998, B16A2 EK4 Civic VTi

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.
BB8 - Rebuild after crash damage to front end.
EK4 - Daily driver. Strip and track prep once prelude project complete

lakaiD14

Post by lakaiD14 »

next time i will be there, this time i couldn't make ik next time i will.

then my obd1swap will be done an i can get some serious bhp gain :D
"some have dreams, mine is reality :P"

Law_

Post by Law_ »

Even i am considering to go :D :D :D
I wish it was just a little bit closer !

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

You are welcome to come over, CRX2 and I are even considering going abroad one day, UK preferably. But I think we need to get up to 20 cars and 3 days of dyno bench to make it worth the trip at all. Problem is we need to be able to trust we get a good dyno and all the support we need on such a trip. Ow... and get 20 people together... that is tricky as well, especially abroad. But... let the thought slumber for a while.

Law_

Post by Law_ »

It would be remarkable ! For pratical purposes though, it would be the same for me to go for UK or Netherlands... Still too far away i'm afraid. unless i could grab some friends and do a small Euro Trip on the way x)

mynameisowen

Post by mynameisowen »

Im for the UK idea!!! hehehe I would definately come and I know a few people with civics...

But euro trips are pretty cool too xP
1996 EJ9 Civic
1998 BB8 Prelude Motegi VTi
1998, B16A2 EK4 Civic VTi

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.
BB8 - Rebuild after crash damage to front end.
EK4 - Daily driver. Strip and track prep once prelude project complete

lakaiD14

Post by lakaiD14 »

hmmmmm an eurotrip..... sounds nice,

maybe with a buch of civics of the same country drivin to a single place like gumball rally style, partying on the way to the finish :P

Law_

Post by Law_ »

lakaiD14 wrote:hmmmmm an eurotrip..... sounds nice,

maybe with a buch of civics of the same country drivin to a single place like gumball rally style, partying on the way to the finish :P
Yes, but not trying to see wich one comes first x) That would be too expensive ! But lets talk about that, maybe i could grab some friends and go tuning x)

lakaiD14

Post by lakaiD14 »

yes i agree, but the average speed would be higher than "normal" whahahaa:P