D14 Dynoplots
Law_

Re: Dutch dyno-meet/workshop.

Post by Law_ »

Great Goals lakai. do you thinks rods will deal with 9000rpms? Cheers

lakaiD14

Post by lakaiD14 »

Law_ wrote:Great Goals lakai. do you thinks rods will deal with 9000rpms? Cheers
i have been reading some books and they tell me that honda engines built for racing last longer when there are stock rods installed, instead of reinforced or heat treated rods. forged rods are to expensive for my goals. :P
"some have dreams, mine is reality :P"

Law_

Post by Law_ »

PDF books ! I would love to read them too. Want to share? cheers

baz

Post by baz »

lakaiD14 wrote:
Law_ wrote:Great Goals lakai. do you thinks rods will deal with 9000rpms? Cheers
i have been reading some books and they tell me that honda engines built for racing last longer when there are stock rods installed, instead of reinforced or heat treated rods. forged rods are to expensive for my goals. :P
Lol, thats great. So in that case you can lay the focus more on the head: valves, camshaft, retainers etc. 8-)
D14A3-OBD1-I/H/E
126 hp /145 Nm

lakaiD14

Post by lakaiD14 »

uhhuh if u want even more power u can better get another engine

my 1.4 project is nice to spend my time but at a certain time u want more..:P

with this engine (with wasted pistonrings) my time at the 1/4 mile was 17,1 sec. not that fast but stil 1,5 sec faster compared to a stock engine

and 1,5 sec is pretty much at 400m or 1/4 mile atleast i believe :P

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

Just for reference stock ej9 d14a4 civic hatch 97-98 has been tested to have 17,4 sec for 0-400m (125km/h) and 32.5 for 0-1000m (156km/h)

lakaiD14

Post by lakaiD14 »

but the dragstrip was slippery because of the wet and burned rubber so the start was a bit sloppy, every time, and not to mension that my pistonrings are retired. :P

and not to mension the driver, your reference is based on theorie, ideal conditions or atleast with skilled driver....

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

these numbers are taken from a major drivers magazine in my country back in the days (1998). ;)

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

The 450.000km EJ9 was also on the drag strip the same day and drove 18.5 (very experienced driver btw, Wazzzup). So I do think Bart is right. We had a frontal wind of up to Beaufort 4, my B16B lost 5kmh and .5 of a second on that day. Could not drive any records.

And poor Bart only had 2 starts, I got 11 on my car, but 4 where in the rain :mrgreen: .

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

The first thing to break on stock rods are the rod bolts.Replace the stock rod bolts with ARP rod bolts and port the stock oil pump and you'll be fine .
160-170 bhp is a lot of power with those mods ,you'll need a very good head port job and a very good cam or you'll never reach those goals.Even 180Nm of torque is veryyy high for a D14 i don't think you'll get that with 10 :1 compression.
150-160 bhp and ~160Nm of torque and a max of 8000 rpm would be more realistic.
The higher you go the more difficult it gets to extract more hp.

Btw keep in mind that you'll need a Cam ,head ,intake manifold/ITB's that actually still makes hp around 9000rpm.
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"