Dutch dyno-meet/workshop.

D14 Dynoplots
Law_

Re: Dutch dyno-meet/workshop.

Post by Law_ »

lakaiD14 wrote:yes i agree, but the average speed would be higher than "normal" whahahaa:P
well it depends on your normal but i agree hehe x) i tend to be fuel efficient =)

lakaiD14

Post by lakaiD14 »

yes ofcourse i wil keep an eye to the fuel efficiency to, but infact i dont really mind (1 of the reasons i drive an 1.4 :P)

and the fact a 1.4 has a shorter stroke so mean more revs :P
"some have dreams, mine is reality :P"

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Ow ehm the 3rd edition is coming! June the 26th we will have some cars on the dyno again. Only half of them seems to be non-Honda this time, a lot of others got interested in the "dyno and improve" concept hehe :mrgreen: .

lakaiD14

Post by lakaiD14 »

i cant help it that not may of my friends see the potential of D-serie honda's

they al prefer nissan's with turbo's.....
cheaters.........:P

Law_

Post by Law_ »

ahaha cant blame them :D

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

3rd edition has passed!

Of the 9 cars, 3 were EJ9 with D14 engines.

First of all our Lakai D14, last time he scored around 115 bhp, now he did the OBD1 swap and together with eCtune we got a 122 bhp out of it. Problem was the CR of Lakai his car, since it is 10.3 with stock cam, it was very detonating happy. A few runs I heard pings around 3k rpm and all of a sudden it started pinging continuously from 5k rpm. I stopped the measurement cause the guys inside the car were not able to hear it (danger of loud exhausts!).

So a mere 122 bhp on a D14 with IM swap and OBD1 swap. I suspect Lakai his exhaust isn't the best and he will return in the future for more power out of his non-VTEC D14.

The second car of the day was from D14A8 EJ9, not a member of this forum, but on HF. As his name suggests he swapped in a D14A8 since very recently his D14A4 killed itself by jamming up... oil disaster?

Anyhow he had the HAI (very short inlet tube directly on TB) mounted on a D16Z6 IM swap. No OBD1. ECU is the original D14A8 ECU which was re-programmed to the keys of his car by a dealer. It did not perform well. First run 105 bhp. Each run after it less and less hp, very likely due to the HAI getting heatsoaked. Cooling of the engine a few seconds returned the numbers back to 105, even 107 was hitted. But over all fuel mixture was far too rich... probably due to the D16Z6 FPR again. The HAI having terrible acoustics with respect to loading the cylinders made it the worst D14 result with an IM-swap I've ever seen. Definitly going to be changed that HAI. Also OBD1 swap in the plans.

Ok, 3rd car. MY car. I knew it needed a descent re-map. Right after the 145 bhp run 2 years ago, I changed out FPR's (adjustable = unreliable changed with OEM) and had the car re-mapped on the street. Also ignition had moved and died just before my drag races in 2009 with the EJ9.

Ok, and since I wanted to pass emission tests as well for the first time ever I had it tested with EJ9 stock catalyc converter. Ok... now the pain starts. First run 127 bhp... a loss of 18 bhp on the very same bench with after 2 years still the exact same amount of wheel losses. Ai ai ai.

After a lot of work we finally got it back up to 139 bhp... so regained 12 bhp from entering, and the catalyc converter now only meant a loss of 6 bhp. The car was mainly far too rich when it entered. Not that bad a result eh? Well... until 5k rpm the car performce equally to stock D14A4 numbers. I mean stock, not stock with I/H/E... in the lower regions due to the catalyc converter I lost 10 bhp! At 6k rpm the loss is almost 20 bhp! The engine max torque is now reduced from 148 to 131 Nm... the real reason I still have 139 bhp is that we were able to make use of the top rpm region, after 7.5 k the cam still makes power and peaks at 8k rpm. I've never before had this much power around 8k. But the previous peak of 145 bhp at 7.5k rpm is gone.

So probably this explains why I hardly could improve my previous record from 2006 in 2009 on the 1/4 mile. It very likely did not have 140+ bhp but rather 130 around that time... in 2006 I am pretty confident I had 136/137. So I only broke the record a little since I had semi-slicks mounted.

I am even suspecting with cat replacment and another re-mapping session the current EJ9 setup might score higher than 145 bhp...

Law_

Post by Law_ »

HAI :lol:

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Small amendment: the Skunk2 cams seem to react very harsh on catalyc converter. I've tested the same in the past with OEM D16Z6 cams, and then the diff was just 4 to 6 bhp...

lakaiD14

Post by lakaiD14 »

nice post :P

perhaps i have to try an FPR to get my A/F leaner that was the idea

within a few months i'm going to begin on my new "all-by-my-self-built-engine":D whahaha

this is the setup it's gonna be:

- D14a3 engine block with coated cilinder walls (to reduce friction)
- balanced crankshaft with LW flywheel
- coated stock pistons (friction reducing on side and ceramic on top)
- D16y8 head grinded down to reach compression 10:1 or even more
- double or reinforced valve springs with titanium retainers
- custom grinded cam made by Kent cams
- adjustable camgear by Skunk2
- 4-2-1 header by Megan Racing
- S20 gearbox because of the shorter gears

something like this with maybe any corrections

i had in mind to reach 160/170 bhp whahaha and max rpm +/- 9000 and 180 Nm torque

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Why FPR? We tuned your fuel maps to the ideal point for max hp. If you think it is too rich we just lower the fuelmap values (prove the engine is giving out the same or less power, and detonation occurs even earlier), but please don't go FPR when you got eCtune ;).

:mrgreen: