OBD2B to OBD1 Conversion for a 99 Civic - Can it be done?

Wiring up and working with the D14 ECUs
jangz

OBD2B to OBD1 Conversion for a 99 Civic - Can it be done?

Post by jangz »

Car:
An EJ9 (1999) Face-Life model Civic with a 1.4i engine.

Objective:
To turbo my car on stock internals with a small turbo aiming for low to mid ranged power (quick acceleration) boosting only into gears 1, 2 and 3. Used for the street only. Preferably looking towards 180 to 170ish BHP of cause I want to keep it safe...

Parts:
D16z6 - Intake Manifold (with the throttle body + sensor on top of it)
D16z6 - 240cc Injectors
D16z6 – P28 ECU

D16z6 -Distributor & D16z6 -Alternator (I'm not sure if I can or will need to fit the Alternator and Distributor from the D16z6 to my D14 using my existing Wiring Harness (because of the connection at the engine bay side of my existing D14 wiring to fit these D16z6 parts? Can anyone shed some light?

Can you advise me if I will need to do this? Also if you know what kind of difference it can make.

Main Issue/Problem: OBD2B to OBD1 conversion to fit my P28 ECU
I have the full D16z6 - Wiring Harness but this is where my main issue is. It is really expensive to get the whole thing fitted and cant get anyone to do it in my area >_<, plus I read here and there that this engine wiring harness can not be converted....? I need a cheap alternative solution please help!!!

My knowledge and my questions so far:
1. I have done some research and please correct me if I'm wrong. My 1.4i, 1999 Civic would be a OBD2B right?.

2. So am I right in saying if I bought an OBD2B to OBD1 conversion harness (like Boomslang) that it would connect to my existing wiring harness to my P28 ECU?.

3. Secondly would I then be right saying that i would need to change the my existing intake manifold to my D16z6 Intake Manifold and make adjustments to some wires on this end of the engine?

4. Thirdly will my 240cc injectors connect using the existing connections on my harness at this of the engine bay side?

5. (about D16z6 - Alternator & Distributer query as written above)

Finally is there anything that you can see that I am missing in my preperation, before I start turboing?

Hope you guys can help... Dodo give me a hand, and Sebastix I am sure if you can clarify it, it would help me a lot and if you can let me know what else i need for this preparation and turboing stage.

Thanks in advanced... ^_^
Liberate our minds by any means necessary - Malcom X

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Re: OBD2B to OBD1 Conversion for a 99 Civic - Can it be done?

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Dizzy and alternator not needed, D14 from OBD2b car works fine!

Yes OBD2b to OBD1 conversion harnass is ok for you.

(Warning, above answers DO NOT apply for 96-98 EJ9 chassis!)

1: yes
2: yes
3: yes
4: no (either get OBD2 240cc injectors or solder OBD1 plugs, re-pin does not work! Though many claimed...)
5: no + no, keep D14 stuff

Good luck with the project, it is a descent plan... can't say I miss anything but you can bet I've missed something...

jangz

Post by jangz »

MMAANNNN that is such a relief to know about the conversion harness. Thank you so much for the heads up. I am also glad I can skip point 5 on my initial post. I guess I'm on the right track.

1. I guess I wanted to know a little bit more info about soldering the OBD1, 240cc Injectors that I have from a D16z6. Is it a difficult job and what other parts would I need to get the job done? Are there any tutorials/walk-through on this?

2. When I get the ODB2B to OBD1 Conversion Harness, all I need to adjust is the wiring to the IACV, right? Nothing else needed after this, right?

3.. I forget to mention that I have a D16z6 - Fuel Rail. Will that fit on straight or will I need to make further adjustments or should I just skip it entirely?

..... Finally as a last option if I don't go for the soldering option for any unknown reason yet, where can I get an OBD2, 240cc Injectors from? I am assuming it would be off a B-series VTI after 96? I may be wrong, can you advise? how much can are they going for as i pay sell the parts that i dont need from the D16z6 and pick some up.....

$_$, ka'ching!!!

mynameisowen

Post by mynameisowen »

glad your getting help :)

Just a quick clarification: joris are you saying that you dont need an obd1 dizzy to run obd1 ecu?? im gonna be using p06 ECU and dizzy from the same engine...

Also Jangz can you give me the link for the boomslang harness your gonna get please :)
1996 EJ9 Civic
1998 BB8 Prelude Motegi VTi
1998, B16A2 EK4 Civic VTi

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.
BB8 - Rebuild after crash damage to front end.
EK4 - Daily driver. Strip and track prep once prelude project complete

jangz

Post by jangz »

Hey Owen, here is the link to the Boomslang OBD2B to OBD1 Conversion Harness that I mentioned before. I will be ordering this very soon, I'm so glad they sell it in the UK...

http://www.jdmperformance.co.uk/searchp ... odID=52614

I hope the link helps you man, I cant wait until I get the rest of my stuff together, its about time. I will keep a diary of it's progression with picture of cause and share it with everyone when its done.

lumpenst

Post by lumpenst »

Afaik you still need the obd1 dizzy with this setup because you are using an obd1 ecu.

jangz

Post by jangz »

ahhh I'm getting confused now. What exactly will I need to do, to set my car up nice and tidy so that i'm ready to put on a small turbo.

DIZZY? (silly question, what exactly is this?) is that the OBD1 wiring? and why will I need it? Without am I at risk of a failed project or in any danger of messing my car up?

Lumpenst, I seen your introduction post, you have a very nice car, Why is it so nice? because its the same exact car, colour and mode as mine, woo woo.

"Dude if you would be kind enough, can you break it down nice and simple about what YOU DID from start to finish" (simple points covering the setup, ecu, wiring etc), so that I could follow the same steps.

You see, I also wanted to get the same turbo and the same current power your getting (at present). I really hope you could help me out man.

Holla back ^O^

mynameisowen

Post by mynameisowen »

I was under the impression that to do OBD1 swap you need OBD1 dizzy (distributor) and ECU. Is this not the case??

Also on the link posted above it says that the boomslang harness (OBD2B-OBD1) is for 99-00 civic. Mines a 1996.

My understanding is that 96-98 is OBD2a and 98-00 is OBD2b.

Does this mean this harness for OBD2b to OBD1 will not work with an OBD2a without any modifications???

Sorry to threadjack jangz but im sure the answers to my questions will be useful to you :)
1996 EJ9 Civic
1998 BB8 Prelude Motegi VTi
1998, B16A2 EK4 Civic VTi

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.
BB8 - Rebuild after crash damage to front end.
EK4 - Daily driver. Strip and track prep once prelude project complete

jangz

Post by jangz »

Hey man I was hoping more people would come on here on this post and give their ideas also, so that we could all get it clear.

Initially I had the same idea that I had to get the Dizzy (Distributor) from an OBD1 fitted into the car, before I went onto the next step? (If its true that I don't have to use it, it would be big relief) but I'm sure the plugs are different, and if so how do I get it fitted without going mad chaining all the wiring?

Yes you are right the Boomslang 96-98 would be the OBD2a
and the Boomslang 99-00 would be the OBD2b (for my car), the only thing extra I have to change is the RACV (3 wire) to the IACV (2 wire) on the Intake Manifold of the D16z6. For you it would be well easy ^_^

Any of you turbo people, please can you give me the steps you have taken to setup your D14 for turbo so that I could follow the steps that are proven and tested, i would greatly appreciate it.

Does anyone how any more details about how to fit OBD1 Injectors to an OBD2 plugs, i read somewhere that there is a piece of blue plastic that needs to be removed on the OBD2 plug to fit the injectors, can that work, anyone done it or anyone know who has?

Holla back

Sebastix

Post by Sebastix »

Check out my howto OBD2b to OBD1.

http://civic.sebastix.nl/obd1/

Running it now for about 1,5 years I think :)