OBD2B to OBD1 Conversion for a 99 Civic - Can it be done?

Wiring up and working with the D14 ECUs
jangz

Re: OBD2B to OBD1 Conversion for a 99 Civic - Can it be done?

Post by jangz »

Sebastix's thank you so much for coming onto the post, I have emailed you before I joined this forum as I have seen your website and fell in love with your car and your turbo project.

So I am guessing you have officially confirmed that I DON'T need the DIZZY from an OBD1, as your walkthrough did not mention this either. It was exactly what I was going to follow also.

DODO your the man ^_^ no doubt in your knowledge. They dont call your the D14 Dutch King for no reason hehe. I also looked around and did some research and found out that in fact it is not necessary.

Well that solves the problem... WOO WOO

Thank you guys so much for this info, I guess I can get started on my conversion with confidence.

(In future I see only one more thing I may need ask about is regarding Chipping the ECU and using a program to do it, if anyone can give me hints, tips and ideas, I would appreciate it)

You guys are the best thank you... I will defo keep my progress in close contact so you can see a Civic mature into a little beast from the East.
Liberate our minds by any means necessary - Malcom X

Sebastix

Post by Sebastix »

Sorry for not responding your email, but I'm too busy to answer that type of emails due my own work at the moment :)

Sometimes I just check some fora en posts something to help :)

jangz

Post by jangz »

Hey Sebastix, seriously its ok man, but thank you for posting on this thread and I'm very happy you came on, your car is my inspiration.

I was hoping you could give me some advice that you think I should do or know before I turbo my civic etc. (I think so far I have got the right idea)

About your F1 style wing mirrors, what are they like? Are they good? I was going to do the same.

Also where did you get the Canards and Diffuser? They looks soo nice man, do they help?

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Sebastix: I really should copy your article or parts of it to my site soon, promised it 1,5 years ago, but really... this boops me up again. Permission was granted wasn't it?

Ehm the dizzy, indeed Sebas used his OBD2b dizzy.

Let try to set things straight:
OBD2a EJ9 (96-98) has the shitty, can't work with normal stuff dizzy. Therefore I needed to change mine.

OBD2b EJ9 (99-00) has the normal system, only the plug is different, but since it matches your current engine-loom, its the perfect solution. Only thing that can happen (saw it a lot on EK3 mini-e swaps as I like to call them), you lose rpm signal. If this happens, I believe you need to short circuit ICM and NEP with each other... actually I should look this one up or get confirmed by someone. Sebas can you confirm perhaps?

Now where does the OBD-incompatibelity story arise? I think from the OBD0 dizzy's. The general OBD0, OBD1 and OBD2 dizzys are all alike, except for some differences in plugs, timing position and flange. Now the OBD0 had one problem more to add: the TDC sensor has either one nob more or less, 21 versus 22 or something. Fitting a OBD1 or OBD2 ECU to OBD0 dizzy or vice versa will therefore count one pulse too much or less and throws an error because of that... think this story got misstaken as a diff between OBD1 and OBD2.

So... in the meantime more questions were posed I think but I lost track.

Ow yeah, the injectors. Either just solder the 4 plugs, means cutting and soldering 8 wires. But the location is a bit shitty and I dislike. My B16B car unfortunately had soldered plugs when I bought it (OBD1 loom, OBD2 injectors, the opposite)....... or get OBD2 injectors from indeed VTi, but Integra does work as well. Selling prices range from 40 to 160 euro over here. Depends on the seller and what they know of you.

Getting the blue stuff out... please don't, it will make a shitty solution. I tried to re-pin, but it totally fails to do it nice and good working.

Eh... any remaining issues?

jangz

Post by jangz »

Hey Dodo thanks for getting back to me man.

I'm nice and clear with the Dizzy and stuff. Now I need to get 240cc Injectors (OBD2 versions) I checked all over but cant seem to get any, do you know any places that I could buy for cheap?

Any way Integra Injectors WILL work right? how about Civic VTI 1.8's or even the Civic Type R ones?... and just to make clear they have to be above 96 to fit my Injector Plugs, right?

Humm, about the IACV I need to have the actual 2 wire plug, right? and fit 2 wire to that plug by making amendments by removing 1 wire right?

Can the D16z6 Fuel Rail be fitted and are there any modifications I need do to make it fit, or is it not worth doing?

About the D16z6 Intake Manifold being fitted there are other sensors behind it, like TA, MAP and TPS they need to be plugged in right and will the OBD2b harness have the correct plugs? Do I need to get all these plugged in (and avoid doing switching the MAP and TPS the wrong way around, right? (what happens if this happens?) The TA needs a new plug also right?

I have the my normal Throttle Cable, that should just connect to the D16z6 TB right?

There is a another sensor the the left of the TA sensor with a pipe (on your one its removed (near to where p80 is engraved on the IM) I don't need that right?

I guess after this I'm clear...

Only thing in future I may need to ask is about the actual TURBO (typical issue) which is the best for my application getting me power all the way to red line and boost starting early etc... but we can leave that another day...

I know I may seem total noobish, but I do know my stuff I just like to further clarify my knowledge but truth is I don't know half as much as you and your help can make my dream come true as I never intend to get another car that isn't a Honda (Civic) so rather do something good to it and keep it undercover.

lumpenst

Post by lumpenst »

i havent done the obd2b obd1 swap yet but i'm starting to do this in a few weeks time with my d16z6 head swap. I'm also still confused if i need the dizzy or not due due different comments on this subject on the internet. It would be really great if we had a howto article on this.

to sebastix: if you're planning to go turbo i recommend getting 330 or 440 cc injectors while you're at it. 240cc injectors with a Forced Induction setup won't be enough past 160-180 hp depending on AFR you are shooting for.

I have been running AFC hack for my turbo setup which is actually a shitty way to do the trick but the car held fine for quite sometime now. I tried the P28 ecu with a ob2b obd1 conversion harness with the stock dizzy a while back and the ECU threw about 20 fault codes and went into limp mode but i had not done any modifications on the dizzy socket. The fault codes included "bad control unit" which might be caused by ostrich chip emulator or uberdata software i was trying to use which is known for a troubled combo. The stock dizzy might also be the cause so i'm unsure about what my problem is.

jangz

Post by jangz »

I have a confident feeling that it may not be an issue with the dizzy, that we both have. Sebas has converted his the same way and it seems easy as pie when reading his how to OBD1 guide. You should visit his homepage. I’m sure his was a clean ECU and then did stuff to it maybe, but initially there wasn’t any issues posted so I’m assuming reading between the lines, he’s doing aight. It’s the same with this other guy I mailed on Youtube who recommended this place also did the same. I have a strong suspicion it’s the software that you got with your ECU to be honest, I really hope you get it fixed ASAP ^_<

In fact I wanted mail you about your T3 .42/.48 AR Turbo on your D14, can you give me the real gritty detailed info about it. When does it start to spool (RPM) and when does full boost kick in? And when does it end, is it power all the way to redline? (Any waste of power) What’s the power and feel like with this turbo and comments on the lag? (Is it nice and aggressive?) As I said I want to stick near and around 180bhp-200bhp please let me know your thoughts are on the turbo you have. I know you want to boost higher, but level with me as aim I’m trying to get a feel for it before I buy.

lumpenst

Post by lumpenst »

the turbo starts spooling around 3000 rpm and by 3500 i get around 0.3-0.4 bar boost. By 4500 0.7bar boost is achieved and thats the rpm it actually kicks in. Power doesnt drop till redline. I guess its the best turbo for a stock engine to reach 180-200 hp.

ps: sebastix's website is down so i couldn't read his obd2b-obd1 swap write up.

Sebastix

Post by Sebastix »

lumpenst wrote: to sebastix: if you're planning to go turbo i recommend getting 330 or 440 cc injectors while you're at it. 240cc injectors with a Forced Induction setup won't be enough past 160-180 hp depending on AFR you are shooting for.
Gheheh, I'm running turbo atm with my ITB's: good for 170whp and 188Nm now on 4psi still with the 240cc injectors ;)
I've 440cc from RC ready here...and some other mods to ask the max of my D14 ;)

And my website should work.

mynameisowen

Post by mynameisowen »

Okay seems to be a bit of misinformation for me due to the differences between OBD2a and OBD2b. My car is OBD2a (1996 EJ9) So this means I need an OBD1 dizzy right?? I can pick a p06 ECU and OBD1 dizzy up for £70. Should i do so for my OBD1 swap??
1996 EJ9 Civic
1998 BB8 Prelude Motegi VTi
1998, B16A2 EK4 Civic VTi

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.
BB8 - Rebuild after crash damage to front end.
EK4 - Daily driver. Strip and track prep once prelude project complete